Substitute School Nurse
- Works with staff as a consultant in defining the health needs of students and in planning the health education program and health services needed to meet them.
- Provides individual health instruction and emotional guidance, as appropriate, for the individual student.
- Supplies and adequately maintains the school medical clinic.
- Keeps current and accurate medical records on each student.
- Informs the principal of the need for approval of early dismissals for students due to health reasons.
- Assumes authority, in the absence of a physician, for the first aid care of a student or staff member who has suffered injury or emergency illness.
- Supervises all medicine brought to school by students and provides medication only as directed by division guidelines.
- Implements school board policy on exclusion and readmission of students in connection with infectious and contagious diseases and conditions of infestation.
- Assists with crisis management within the school division, as needed.
- Offers information and/or opportunities, which promote staff wellness and fitness.
- Serves as a link to community health resources.
- Provides health related services and/or consultation regarding students with disabilities.
- Advises school administrators, as needed, on student health-related matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the division superintendent and/or designee.
1. Graduate of an accredited program of registered nursing perferred.
2. Current licensure to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia. (CPR and First Aid certified)
3. Valid Virginia driver's license.
4. Two years successful working experience with references, giving evidence of competency in nursing care practices preferred.
5. Possess qualities of character and personality, which merit the confidence and respect of students, staff, and parents.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.