Elementary School Security Officer
Positions are located at each Elementary school.
This position is responsible for patrolling assigned building and grounds for the purpose of maintaining a close watch on student activities while protecting pupils from both outside and inside influences. Prevents trespassers and unauthorized persons from school entering property, monitors and maintains electronic surveillance and systems. An employee in this class is responsible for the safety and welfare of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the school. The work involves being highly visible in the halls, parking lots, cafeterias, restrooms, grounds, and stairways of the building. The work requires excellent rapport with students to encourage proper behavior, with staff to promote building safety and with local law enforcement officials to assist in promoting attendance, identifying delinquent behaviors, controlling illegal substances, solving crimes involving students, school property, or buildings, and otherwise maintaining a safe and secure learning environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Patrols buildings and grounds with a view toward maintaining a close watch on student activities, protecting pupils from outside influences, and preventing trespassers.
- Maintains security in and around bus and parking areas, halls, entrances and other locations, during student arrival and departure.
- Monitors and obtains petitions/warrants on individuals involved in the illegal sale and use of alcohol, narcotics, and other controlled substances on school grounds.
- Monitors assigned areas to prevent the destruction of personal and public property.
- Keeps records and makes report on all incidents detracting from the safety of the school.
- Coordinates the use of electronic surveillance cameras and video equipment in promoting the overall safety of building and grounds.
- Responds appropriately to potential threats to building, staff, or student safety in order to promote a secure learning environment.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the local police, juvenile court, and law enforcement officials in order to assist in the prevention and detection of juvenile crime and delinquent behavior.
- Assists in fire drills and other safety procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED.
- Practical knowledge and understanding of child growth and development.
- Some knowledge of instructional procedures and practices.
- Good knowledge of the attendance policies and overall rules and regulations of the WJCC Public Schools.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional working relationship with students, staff, and faculty in a variety of situations.
- Ability to be licensed as a Conservator of the Peace preferred not required.
- Demonstrated skill in investigation, law enforcement, and security techniques strongly preferred.
- Ability to write summary reports of security incidents or breaches of established rules and procedures.
Performs duties under the supervision of the school Security Officer. May receive guidance and directions from the building principals or assistant principals where appropriate.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to stand for long periods of time and work in various types of environmental conditions.
Some standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing, and pulling.
Ability to hear at normal levels; Good eye sight to include peripheral, color perception, focus and depth perception; Good physical condition.