Custodian Full-Time (12 Month)
Custodian Full Time (12-Month)
Salary Range: $31,581 - 40,510
Performs responsible unskilled custodial work in the care and cleaning of school buildings; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of a Head Custodian and/or the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
- Cleaning of school building interiors; maintaining school grounds.
- Checks and secures building at beginning and end of shift for the purpose of ensuring the safety and cleanliness of the building. Secures windows and classroom doors daily; secures building;
- Cleans rooms, hallways, cafeterias, restrooms, offices, stairways, and other areas of building according to school district standards.
- Sweeps, vacuums, mops, buffs, strips, and waxes floors.
- Cleans rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and blinds.
- Washes walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, doors, and sills. Washes walls and woodwork, dusts venetian blinds and/or shades;
- Removes graffiti, cleans glass areas.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Sets up and breaks down chairs, tables and equipment in meeting rooms, and functional rooms.
- Clears snow from entrances and walks, and spreads sand and ice melting chemicals.
- Performs grounds-keeping duties, clears debris and maintains grounds. Mows grass, trims shrubbery, picks up paper and trash;
- Receives deliveries and assists in unloading trucks and storing supplies.
- Delivers supplies and materials to classrooms, bathrooms and other areas of the building.
- Empties wastebaskets; picks up and removes trash and assists in recycling program. Removes trash from buildings and puts in dumpster;
- Scrubs and cleans toilets including mirrors, wash basins, urinals, commodes, slop sinks, etc.; fills tissue, towel and soap dispensers;
- Dusts furniture, walls, windowsills and other woodwork;
- Sanitizes and cleans drinking fountains;
- Moves furniture and supplies as required;
- Cleans storage rooms and equipment;
- Reports needed repairs;
- Performs general cleaning, and repair work, particularly during school vacations.
- Assists parents and other visitors to school buildings with special events and programs.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Uses hand tools of trade and related power equipment, including brooms, mops, floor cleaning and waxing machines, vacuum cleaners, snow blowers, shovels, power mower and hand tools.
Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper use of tools and power equipment used in the performance of duties.
Wears appropriate safety gear, including masks.
Must comply with school district's chemical hygiene program and follow MSDS sheets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow oral or written work orders from supervisor, and to coordinate work with principal and others.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Ability to describe orally or in writing cleaning, maintenance or repair problems as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure.
- Ability to work in poor weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, or snow.
- Ability to work above ground from ladders and automatic lifts.
- Ability to perform work according to standard procedures and schedule set forth by supervisor(s).
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions.
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, solvents and contaminated trash, grasses, pollens, etc.
- This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to the completion of the eighth grade and some custodial and grounds keeping experience
- Commonwealth of Virginia Motor Vehicle Operator's license or ability to provide own transportation.
- FLSA Status: Non-exempt