SPECIAL EDUCATION COORDINATING TEACHER
MCMINN COUNTY SCHOOLS
Job Position: SPECIAL EDUCATION CONSULTING TEACHER
Exemption Status: Exempt
Location: As Assigned (To Be Determined)
Reports to: Special Education Supervisor, School Administration
Qualifications: Valid Tennessee Teaching Certificate with Special Education Certification
Master’s Degree Preferred but not Required
At Least Three Years’ Experience in Special Education
In performing the Primary Function and Essential Duties of the Special Education Consulting Teacher, confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
- Coordinate and implement the school’s special education program under the direction of the principal and supervisor of special education.
- Maintain all* special education files.
- Coordinate Child Find activities; participate in S-Team meetings, as needed and process all* referrals in accordance with Federal and State laws and regulations.
- Conduct educational and behavioral assessments to assist in the identification of student deficits.
- Be in attendance and serve as chairperson at all* IEP meetings and be responsible for the development of all* individualized education plans to meet the identified needs of students.
- Provide instruction and remediation services as needed.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all special education equipment at your school.
- Act as a liaison between the school, parents and outside agencies in the gathering and disseminating of information.
- Make correct and timely reports to the supervisor of special education as required.
- Collaborate with the special education instructional coach.
- Maintain all special education comprehensive files in an up-to-date manner and in compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations.
- Control the release of all special education information, both written and verbal, using consent to release forms with appropriate signatures.
- Accept and process all proper referrals within required timelines.
- Coordinate all school related special education meetings, i.e. IEP, reevaluations, manifestation determinations, etc.
- Provide diagnostic educational evaluations when required.
- Conduct classroom observations as needed.
- Provide special education programs for consideration to the IEP team.
- When necessary, be available to provide individualized services to students, i.e. guidance, act as an attendant, tutoring, etc.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director of Schools, the Special Education Supervisor, or the McMinn County Board of Education.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer, and other instructional equipment
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking
Lifting: Regular light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); Occasional heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and positioning of students with physical disabilities, control behavior through physical restraint, assist nonambulatory students, and lift and move adaptive and other classroom equipment; may work prolonged or irregular hours
Environment: Exposure to biological hazards
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress