Teacher in Training (Several Openings)
James Irwin Charter Academy is currently seeking full-time Instructional Assistant/Teachers in Training for the 2020-2021 school year. The successful candidate will teach a small K-5 reading and math group, assist the teacher with classroom management, and supervise students during lunch and recess. Our instructional assistants/teachers-in-training receive the same intensive training as our teaching staff which gives them valuable apprenticeship experience in our rigorous curricula, methodology and school culture, which can provide a foot in the door for a teaching position in the future. We are looking for someone who will be dedicated long term to provide consistency for our students.
James Irwin Charter Academy is a K-5, Core Knowledge, Direct Instruction school. Our mission is to help guide students in the development of their character and academic potential through academically rigorous, content-rich educational programs. James Irwin Charter Academy is one of only eight CSI schools to earn a “Performance with Distinction” rating based on 2018-2019 performance. CSI—which authorizes James Irwin Charter Academy—assigns a rating and accredits its schools each fall based on its school performance framework, which considers a school’s academic, financial, and organizational data from the previous school year. JICA met expectations on CMAS English Language Arts and Science state assessments. Our students exceeded expectations on CMAS Math assessments. We accomplish this through the hard work and dedication of our educators. We exist to provide a new found hope to parents, students and families who have lost faith in the education system. Our focus is on student character development and student mastery of our critical paths of reading, math, and writing. We are a staff of educators with a genuine love for children, a belief that all students can learn and want to learn, and an enduring commitment to the students of James Irwin Charter Academy.
If you want more information about this positon please email the school Principal, Saadia Dumas at email@example.com or call at 719-302-9007. James Irwin Charter Academy is a public school of choice located at 1801 N. Howard Blvd.
· Pay is $12.00/hour without a degree or $12.50/hour for candidates with a degree or PRAXIS in Elementary Education Content
· Generous benefits package which includes a choice of either a low-cost HMO or an HSA with free supplementary health care and a monthly stipend. In addition, 100% of the dental premium is paid by the employer.
· Start date: July 30, 2020 (see the 2020-2021 JICA school calendar on our website).
· Robust teacher development and training program.
Candidates who are selected to interview may be asked to attend a brief meet and greet with the administration. If selected to continue the process, candidates may be asked to return for a more comprehensive interview and teach a sample lesson to students, faculty and/or administration.
The successful candidate should…
· Become familiar with and commit to using the Active Participation or Explicit Instruction methodology by Dr. Anita Archer.
· Be willing to work with a team of faculty who provide consistent teaching methods and assessments throughout all classes at JICA.
· Integrate character into lessons as appropriate and always exhibit the highest character traits, especially in the company of students and colleagues.
· Be willing to accept and implement feedback on performance via teacher coaching, video recording, and informal and formal evaluations.
· Be committed to always doing what is best for the students.
The successful candidate should also be prepared to…
· Maintain detailed, accurate and up-to-date student records.
· Actively monitor student behavior
· Volunteer from time to time to chaperone student activities (e.g. concerts, musicals, open house, back to school night).
The successful candidate should possess the following skills and abilities:
· Support James Irwin Charter Schools’ mission and vision.
· Support and follow all JICS policies and procedures.
· Courage to enforce student dress code and behavior expectations.
· Be a self-advocating, quick learner.
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Excellent office administration skills, including written and oral communications skills.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, volunteers, students and parents.
· Handle difficult interactions with professionalism, respect, grace and elegance.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook).
· Proficiency with Internet web browsing and research.
· Excellent in time management.
· Dress modestly and appropriately for a professional, academic environment.
· Able to maintain a calm, professional demeanor under pressure and in meeting deadlines.
· Positive, solution-based attitude.