School Social Worker
Job | Posted 2 months ago
MCMINN COUNTY SCHOOLS
Job Title: SCHOOL SOCIAL WORKER Exemption Status: Exempt
Reports to Federal Programs Supervisor
Date Revised: 05/08/2020
Dept./School: Assigned Campus
McMinn County district is in current need of a School Social Worker; a role which will entail providing a full range of services for students who need additional support. As a key member of our support team, the successful candidate will partner with school administrators, teachers, counselors, and staff to develop and implement plans that provide specialized support for selected students throughout the course of the school year.
The purpose of the School Social Worker’s job is to address barriers to student school performance by connecting children and families to needed clinical and social assessment and services. The School Social Worker combines knowledge of social work, mental health, education, and child development to provide and/or connect students with needed resources for various types of assessment, prevention, and intervention services to support the district goal of accelerating student achievement.
The School Social Worker must have a bachelor's or master's degree (preferred) and be licensed or certified to practice in the state of Tennessee. They work as part of the educational team, communicating with parents and teachers as necessary about students who may need counseling or other types of assistance. They may also assist teachers and administrators with students' behavioral issues.
- The School Social Worker must maintain appropriate licensure/certification and acknowledges that continued employment with McMinn County Schools is contingent upon providing required documentation to validate licensure/certification in a timely manner. This includes meeting the requirements for Inservice and Professional Development hours.
- Valid Driver’s License, background check and able to pass drug test
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Maintains confidentiality
- Adheres to the NASW and Teacher Code of Ethics as defined by Tennessee Law
- Must be autonomous, highly motivated and capable of maintaining regular attendance (10-month employee working school hours)
- Addresses problems in a positive, respectful manner
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional organization skills and adaption to schedule changes
- Compassionate and approachable personality
- Strong sense of integrity, discretion, and professionalism
- Identifies needs and connects students and families with community service providers (Centerstone School Based Counseling, School Counselors, and outside of school resources, etc.) for all 9 McMinn County Schools
- Provide information for outside support services or agencies to help students deal with economic, emotional, or physical challenges. School Social Workers sometimes focus on particular groups of students, such as those with disabilities, at-risk or high-risk groups
- Makes home visits as needed (accompanied by staff member or school resource officer)
- Provides case management including data management
- Maintain case files and reports to track student problems and progress and to recognize patterns in behavior
- Conducts social/developmental histories with families
- Conducts prevention groups and other prevention activities with students in collaboration with school personnel
- Connects students with individual and group counseling services in collaboration with school personnel
- Communicates the role of the social worker and available services to students, parents, and community
- Works with families and community agencies to develop intervention plans and/or procure goods and services necessary for student success
- Follows established procedures to ensure assigned areas are safe
- Upon request, provides consultation and assistance to the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) team and 504 plans
- Works with the Homeless Foster Liaison for the district
- Reports to Supervisor as often as deemed necessary by Supervisor
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with evaluation procedures, policy, and regulations of the Tennessee Department of Education.
Salary for this position will be based on the McMinn County Board of Education salary schedule for certified teachers (200-day contract) based on degree and recognizable experience.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer
Posture: Frequent sitting and standing; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions; frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching, frequent walking
Lifting: Regular light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds) and occasional lifting between 15-30 pounds
Environment: Work inside, occasional districtwide travel as requested by administration
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress, may work prolonged or irregular hours