Day Time Custodian
Job | Posted 2 months ago
Perform the custodial functions of making minor repairs and keeping building neat and clean.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Makes minor repairs to equipment and reports major problems to the school principal and coordinator of custodial services.
- Performs minor repair tasks as requested by the school principal or teachers.
- Performs routine cleaning tasks in the school offices, classrooms, hallways, and restrooms on a daily basis.
- Performs yearly maintenance tasks such as stripping, sanding, sealing, waxing, and buffing gymnasium floor.
- Conducts inspection of the school building to ensure all areas of the building are clean.
- Inspects heating, lighting, and ventilation system and fire safety systems to ensure they are working properly to provide a safe environment for students and staff.
- Assures adequate janitorial supplies and equipment are available to maintain the cleanliness of the building.
- Works during events scheduled outside of regular school hours, if such is requested by the principal, head custodian, or designee.
- Reports personal absences in time for supervisor to secure substitute.
- Reports to work during emergencies to perform duties such as shoveling snow and spreading sand on sidewalks.
- The Custodian has responsibility for identifying and removing hazards that affect visitors, staff and students of the building.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the principal, head custodian, or designee.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Required to attend safety training seminars.
- Valid Virginia’s driver’s license is required within 90 days of employment.
- Receive safety training throughout the school year.
- Work experience, vocational training, on the job training, may be substituted in place of experience and education qualifications as the district finds appropriate and acceptable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Methods used in maintaining a clean school building.
- Terminology, procedures, and routines in building cleaning practices.
- Fire alarm and security systems operated in the building.
- How to make minor building and equipment repairs.
- Perform tasks in accordance with acceptable cleaning practices.
- Prioritize routine cleaning chores and minor repair tasks.
- Consult supervisor on all matters not considered routine.
- Communicate effectively with students and staff.
- Solve problems independently or with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior at all times.
- Read and write information regarding cleaning and building maintenance.
- Work well with others.
- Ability to operate a vacuum cleaner, floor polisher, sander, carpet cleaner, lawn mower, and other maintenance tools and equipment.
Light work: Exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The work also requires the following physical abilities in order to perform the essential job functions: visual acuity, hearing, speaking, feeling, manual dexterity, sitting, and standing. Duties may require other physical demands depending on the situation.
Job is usually performed inside heated, well-lighted building; however, work is also performed outdoors such as sweeping walkways, mowing lawn, and shoveling snow. Working with machines can be noisy and some tasks, such as cleaning restrooms can be dirty and unpleasant. Gloves, eye protection, and other safety equipment as assigned and as required to be used under specified conditions. Appropriate uniform as designated by the district.
Salary: Starting salary $29,105 with benefits