High School Activities Director
High School Activities Director
Location: Mecklenburg County High School
Reports to: Principal of MCHS
Position Description: Plans, directs, and supervises middle school athletic, physical education, and nonathletic student activities programs (clubs/organizations); supervises athletic coaches and club/activity/organization sponsors; serves as middle school Athletic Director;
Examples of Essential Functions (The following list is illustrative of both broad and specific tasks and responsibilities. It is not intended to detail every task or responsibility.):
- Serves as athletic director for high school;
- plans, schedules, and oversees intramural and interscholastic day, evening, and weekend athletic events, coordinating schedules with other activities within the school and with other schools;
- directs preparation and distribution of supplementary activities contracts;
- plans and oversees a comprehensive nonathletic activities program (band, drama, robotics, speech, clubs, etc.);
- interviews and recommends candidates to fill coaching/sponsor vacancies; supervises and advises coaches and sponsors;
- supervises and participates in preparing for events, including preparation of facilities - including necessary technology, securing necessary temporary personnel (e.g., ticket sellers, police, doctors, trainers, and game officials), arranging for transportation, allotting concessions, preparing for traffic and crowd control, and arranging for cleanup and repair after events;
- determines students' eligibility for athletic teams and nonathletic competition;
- prepares eligibility lists and arranges for physical examinations as required by Virginia High School League regulations;
- supervises and participates in the maintenance of accounts and processing of required insurance forms;
- supervises and participates in selection, requisitioning, inventory, laundering, and repair of equipment and supplies;
- prepares coaches' budgets; plans and schedules student activities and events such as dances, performances, field days;
- coordinates community use of facilities to avoid conflicts;
- may supervise the school health and physical education program including counseling instructors, approving curriculum, ordering materials, and controlling hazards;
- may supervise a fine and performing arts department or other departments as designated by the principal;
- may direct student health services including nursing care, physical fitness testing, and appropriate follow-up;
- arranges and provides logistical support for special events such as award presentations, graduations, rallies, and programs by outside groups interested in promoting student activities;
- supervises and participates in the driver education program and attends meetings of athletic directors including conferences outside the district as directed by the principal;
- Serves on faculty committees as directed by the principal.
- Supervises school events, matches, competitions;
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
Physical and Work Requirements:
- Use standard office equipment such as personal computers, printers, copier and fax machines, and telephone.
- Considerable walking about the school and campus in performance of duties.
- Operation of light vehicles on campus, ability to use equipment required for caring for and marking fields, lifting chairs and other items up to forty pounds, setting up events.
Travel to division meetings, off-site competitions/events, and regional/district meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience with secondary school programs and operations.
- Knowledge of the philosophy, practices, and organizational structure of a comprehensive student activities program.
- Knowledge of and personal experience with student athletics and coaching.
- Organizational skills to manage multiple simultaneous events, schedules, and priorities.
- Ability to model professional, moral, and ethical standards as well as personal integrity in all interactions.
- Ability to manage conflicts, personnel matters, and financial matters.
- Ability to establish and work within budgets.
- Ability to plan, organize, and direct athletic and nonathletic programs.
- Ability to schedule and coordinate student and community activities.
- Ability to supervise coaches and sponsors.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Qualifications Profile - Certification/License
- Current Virginia Professional License - administration and supervision Pre-K-12 - is preferred.
- Three or more years of successful teaching experience is required.
- Three or more years of coaching and/or club organization leadership experience is required.
- Experience as an athletic director is preferred.
Paid on the 12-month TEACHER SCALE
CONTRACT DAYS: 12 month contract
MASTERS STIPEND ELIGIBLE? yes
DOCTORATE STIPEND ELIGIBLE? yes