This position provides students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth; enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates current, accurate, and comprehensive knowledge of topics covered in the curriculum and the state Standards of Learning and prepares students to master grade level standards.
- Plans instruction which includes appropriate curriculum objectives, learning activities, and lesson plans for students and substitutes. Instructs assigned classes in the locations and times designated.
- Uses current school and division data to plan both daily and long-range instructional decisions.
- Selects and creates comprehensive materials and technological resources to meet students’ abilities and needs.
- Prepares for classes as assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Links present content/skills with past and future learning experiences while actively engaging all students.
- Communicates key learning goals, concepts, and procedures to students in clear and appropriate manners.
- Uses a variety of instructional strategies to promote active student learning that meets the needs of all students.
- Incorporates and models appropriate use of technology to support instruction and student learning.
- Provides opportunities for individual differences and equitable participation in learning.
- Provides on-going and timely feedback to students and parents that encourages student progress.
- Provides a variety of evaluation strategies that measures student achievement.
- Maintains records of student performance and attendance. Uses time efficiently and effectively.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with students.
- Makes the classroom environment safe and conducive to learning.
- Maintains appropriate standards of behavior in a positive and constructive manner within the classroom.
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor and practices ethical standards appropriate to the profession. Establishes positive and respectful relationships with colleagues, students, parents, and the community.
- Participates in meaningful and continuous process of professional development.
- Attends staff meetings, serves on staff committees, and completes all processes such as teacher evaluation, student records, etc. as required.
- Provides service to the profession and the school.
- Maintains effective communication and collaboration with administrators, colleagues, parents and the community.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with appropriate certification for teaching assignment from an accredited college or university.
- Possess or be eligible for a teacher license from the Virginia Department of Education.
- Act under the direction and advice of the building administrators within the guidelines of school division policy and Virginia Department of Education regulations.
- Knowledge of VDOE and WJCC curriculum and techniques for integrating curriculum.
- Ability to infuse technology into the curriculum.
- Ability to work effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office, school based staff, students, parents and community.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and human relations skills.
Supervises students in school; may supervise activities of teacher assistant or volunteers.
Performs duties under the supervision of the building administrators; receives instruction and support from Curriculum and/or Team Leaders.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Highly complex duties. Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues. Demanding schedule often includes meetings before and after school. Significant standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing, and pulling.