Business / GED/JVG Teacher (2022 - 2023) $2,500 SIGNING BONUS
PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
FARMVILLE, VIRGINIA 23901
Title: Business / GED/JVG Teacher
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: The Business/GED teacher is responsible for teaching classes to high school GED candidates ages sixteen to nineteen, including curriculum development, evaluation of students’ progress, and accurate maintenance of all students’ records. GED tests require students to demonstrate their ability to apply analyze and evaluate information. Therefore, the development of a course of study for each student, based on the areas in which the student needs remediation is critical. Classroom instruction should be interactive and incorporate a variety of teaching techniques, materials, and resources, always keeping in mind the goal of students’ success on the GED exam.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide classroom instruction in one or more of the following areas: math, reading, writing, science, and social studies.
- Develop, revise, and evaluate curriculum to meet the needs of the students.
- Evaluate and track students’ academic progress regularly, using standardized assessment tools.
- Maintain current records on all students, including accurate attendance records, GED applications, TABE and OPT answer sheets, and any court report
- Display a positive attitude with all students and staff, act as a supportive team member in a collaborative environment.
- Participate in regularly scheduled training sessions. Prepares course objectives and outline for course of study following curriculum guidelines and requirements of the district and state.
- Complies with school and School Board policies and regulations
- Uses instructional and planning time effectively
- Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and parents concerning both the academic and behavioral progress of students
- Participates in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops
- Assumes responsibility for the care of materials, equipment, and facilities
- Works cooperatively with the administration and collegial peers for the overall successful operation of the school
- Develops and maintains a physical environment of the classroom conducive to effective learning
- Maintains accurate records and reports implemented by the administration
- Demonstrates professional growth
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1. Holds a Collegiate Professional license with a specific endorsement in
2. Have acceptable ratings in instances where there is prior teaching
experience (either with this school system or other school systems)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Ten-month employment. Salary to be determined by the School Board.
Performance of the position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Prince Edward County School Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.
Original: August 2022
Approved by: Superintendent