Elementary Assistant Principal (2022-2023)
Title: Assistant Principal – Elementary School
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment - 244 days
Summary: To provide assistance to the elementary school principal in the operation of the total school program
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Serves as the primary administrator in the absence or disability of the principal
2. Works with the principal in the preparation of student handbooks
3. Assists the principal in planning, organizing, and administrating all functions essential to the operation of a responsive, effective, and efficient instructional
environment that provides opportunity for student growth and achievement
4. Provides proactive, comprehensive, and facilitative leadership for the school in the planning and implementation of school improvement initiatives
5. Works collaboratively with parents, students, the principal, and the community to achieve district goals and objectives
6. Supervises and assists with preparation of student teachers
7. Assists in providing a clean, safe, and nurturing school environment
8. Implements steps to continuously evaluate instructional programs and teacher performance
9. Establishes and maintains an open line of communication with parents, students, staff, the community, and other stakeholders
10. Performs other duties as may be assigned
Assist the principal in the evaluation of instructional personnel as assigned by the principal
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1. Possess or qualify for the Virginia Postgraduate Professional License with an endorsement in Administration and Supervision
2. Have a minimum of three years of successful teaching and/or administrative experience
3. Evidence of effective instructional leadership and excellent organizational skills in school management
4. Demonstrate leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with students, teachers, parents, administrators, and community members
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Thorough knowledge of high school practices and procedures; thorough knowledge of the principles and methodology of effective teaching and administration; thorough knowledge of school division rules, regulations and procedures; ability to establish and maintain standards of behavior; ability to articulate oral presentations and written reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, parent, and community members.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Virginia Postgraduate Professional License with an endorsement in Administration and Administration
Valid driver's license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasional lifting of equipment and/or materials weighing up to approximately 40 pounds may be required. Regular contact with staff members, students, parents, and community members is required. Frequent contact with parents by phone and in person is necessary. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Twelve-month employment. Salary to be determined by the current administrative salary schedule.
Performance of the position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Prince Edward County School Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.