Please note that this posting closes at 3:00 pm on the date listed above.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Josh Moore, Asst Principal, at (385)-646-3156 or email email@example.com
Hours per week: as needed
|Job Title||Language Translator|
|Department||Educational Equity / Special Education|
|Salary Schedule||Hourly Classified|
|Contract Length||Hourly Only|
|Last Review Date||January 2021|
Interprets at various meetings. Provides translation services with patrons whose primary language is not English to assist school personnel, schedule appointments, and ask permission for testing. Interprets during testing. Attendance, physical presence, and timeliness are required and are essential functions of this position.
- Interprets at various meetings (e.g. IEP, SEP, etc.)
- Calls parents to communicate information, schedule appointments, etc.
- Interprets during testing.
- Assists in other areas when interpretation is needed.
- Assists in ELL classrooms
- Facilitates Wida Testing (English Proficiency)
- Other duties as assigned*
Required Education and Qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent.
Must successfully complete three years of foreign language study or equivalent.
Some training in specialized education terminology.
Must have a valid Utah driver’s license.
Required Prior Experience
Must have six months of job-related work experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Must speak required foreign language and English fluently.
- Broad language vocabulary.
- Knowledge of other cultures.
- Knowledge of specialized educational terminology.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
Decides the meaning and context of words and phrases that require translation. Determines when to meet with students through parents and teachers.
Interactions with Others
Works closely with parents of students who require interpretation services. Coordinates meetings with students. Works with teachers and administrators to schedule meetings.
May travel to different schools. Some stress in striving for accuracy in interpretation.
Physical Requirements – Not limited to the following:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and/or hear. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch. Occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel and must occasionally climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to stand/sit for long periods of time.