FLSA Status: Exempt
Grade: 18 (Educational Support Salary Scale)
Revision Date: April 1, 2019
Location: Central Office
This position is responsible for providing professional accounting services to the Finance Department by managing the financial system, maintaining general ledger control, and providing direction in the grant management, Student Activity Funds, accounts receivable, and fixed asset areas. Prepares necessary financial reports to meet external requirements and/or internal needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the preparation of the Superintendent’s Annual School Report (ASR) and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Monitors the accounting and conducts internal audits of Student Activity Funds in the schools. Works with and advises individual school bookkeepers through reconciliation process.
- Oversees the maintenance of the school division’s fixed assets accounting system.
- Prepares requisitions for reimbursement to various federal and state grants administered by other offices in the school division.
- Ensures compliance with accounting, disbursement, and reporting requirements of agencies from which grants have been received.
- Oversees and integrates the accounts receivable function to ensure the proper processing of various revenues such as general operating, cafeteria, capital projects, and other agencies.
- Analyzes and reconciles periodic trial balances including reconciling sub-ledger to the general ledger, verifying asset and equity balances, and researching/correcting discrepancies.
- Provides assistance to auditors as required.
- Prepares necessary financial reports to meet external requirements and/or internal needs.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related field required; CPA preferred. Thorough knowledge of principles, methods, and practices of accounting.
- Considerable accounting experience, preferably with some local government/K-12 experience, and experience involving budget preparation and the handling of federal funds.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Suite products, including Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to analyze and interpret fiscal and accounting data to prepare appropriate statements and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with school division employees and external contacts such as auditory and bank representatives.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with fully integrated financial management, human resources, and payroll systems.
- Ability to analyze and interpret fiscal and accounting data and to prepare appropriate statements and reports.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Director of Finance.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Highly diverse and complex duties. Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work on several projects and assignments concurrently in response to specific deadlines. Strong interpersonal skills required in working with diverse groups. Must have initiative and assume responsibility for working productively with minimal supervision. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time in a busy office environment; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The incumbent will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the principal or appropriate administrator. WJCC Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.