Please note that this posting closes at 3:00 pm on the date listed above.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Scott Wooldridge, Assistant Principal, at (385)-646-6627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours per week: 40
|Job Title||Apprentice Custodian|
|Supervisor||Head Custodian / Principal|
|Contract Length||Hourly Only|
|Last Review Date||June 2020|
Provides assistance to custodians and administrators. Performs assigned tasks such as, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming and removal of garbage. May also assist in grounds care, building maintenance, cleaning, and moving of equipment. May help with building security by locking/unlocking doors when requested and do final lock-up of building at night including turning on security systems. Work week and shifts may vary. Attendance, physical presence, and timeliness are required and are essential functions of this position.
Essential Functions – On the job training for the following:
- Assists with routine maintenance of school and district buildings.
- Checks and secures building at the beginning and end of shift for the purpose of ensuring the safety and cleanliness of the building.
- Cleans rooms, hallways, cafeterias, restrooms, offices, stairways, and other areas of the building according to district standards.
- Washes walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, doors, sills, touchpoints.
- Maintain, clean, and sanitize restrooms.
- May fill soap, paper towel, toilet paper, and other dispensers.
- Mop or runs auto scrubber.
- Extracts/bonnets carpets.
- Assist with floor refinishing.
- Removes garbage.
- Maintains grounds which includes mowing and edging lawns, removing snow, ice, debris, weeding, raking, watering, sweeping, etc.
- May remove graffiti and repairs other acts of vandalism.
- Cleans up garbage.
- Repairs furniture, lockers, doors, and small equipment.
- Prepare and set up rooms for meetings and activities and cleans up afterwards.
- Helps maintain and operate mechanical systems.
- Assist locking and unlocking doors.
- Involved with security of building after hours.
- Turns on/off security and locks/unlocks the building.
- Attend all required apprenticeship classes and complete demonstrations and competency logs.
- Performs duties in a manner to maintain an 80% or higher VEKTR inspection.
- Other duties as assigned*
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Needs to know how to operate and maintain basic cleaning equipment, including but not limited to buffers, extractors, and auto scrubber.
- May perform minor adjustments to equipment.
- Must understand basic use of cleaning solvents and their proper application.
- Ability to follow oral and/or written requests from supervisor.
- Basic reading and math skills.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Required Prior Experience
No prior experience required.
Assigned Decision Making
Makes decisions concerning the best way to accomplish tasks assigned by supervisors. Must take direction well and be able to work within specific guidelines. Makes suggestions but must be willing to follow directions.
Interactions with Others
Interacts positively with students, teachers, principals, custodians, and other district personnel. May also interact appropriately with parents, counselors, and police agencies.
Works inside and outside the building to accomplish assigned tasks. Working conditions can be in hot and cold weather. Hazards may exist when using power equipment, ladders, scaffolds mopping, using buffers on wet floors and when working with chemicals. Frequent interruptions with daily work may occur. May experience stress from disruptive students and/or groups of students. Must receive proper training from the head custodian when working with cleaning chemicals and must be handled properly.
Physical Requirements – Not limited to the following:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and/or hear.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel and must occasionally climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 100 lbs.
Note: The list of essential and marginal functions and of physical requirements is not exhaustive and may be supplemented in accordance with the requirements of the job.