Substitute Bus Driver
TITLE: Bus Driver
This position is ____ exempt or __ X ___ non-exempt
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Performs routine bus driving duties transporting students to and from assigned schools; transports
students for special events and field trips.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Has a high school diploma or the equivalent; is at least 21 years of age; possesses a
valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License with school bus endorsement (air brakes); has a medical certificate; has obtained
Driver Training Certification and maintains an excellent driving record without a moving traffic violation within two years.
Qualified applicants must submit to and pass an Alcohol and Drug Test as required by law. Completion of defensive driving
course and multimedia first aid prior to employment preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of State highway operating rules and procedures.
· Competent in the proper use of all equipment used for transporting special needs students.
· Ability to operate all vehicle types used in transporting students.
· Ability to communicate effectively with bus drivers, school administrators, school staff and parents.
· Ability to operate radio communication.
· Ability to deal with exuberant behavioral characteristics of youthful riders.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of personnel and student matters.
· Ability to stoop, kneel, bend, and reach when working with students, staff and buses and to lift 40 pounds
GENERAL PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Maintains valid Virginia School Bus Commercial Driver License.
· Performs housekeeping duties inside and outside the school bus.
· Refuels buses and cars as needed.
· Demonstrates knowledge of rules and regulations promulgated by local, state, and federal authorities.
· Performs required pre-trip and post trip/run inspections daily.
· Operates a school bus over established routes in an efficient and punctual manner.
· Maintains student discipline while operating a school bus following the guidelines established by the School Board.
· Acts in a professional manner exhibiting a positive image in dealing with students, parents, and school division
· Drives defensively under varying traffic conditions.
· Maintains availability to drive doubled bus runs within the normal contracted hourly day as circumstances require and
perform such doubled runs as assigned.
· Conducts emergency evacuation drills in keeping with division regulations.
· Attends workshops and safety meetings as directed.
· Operates a school bus on special trip assignments.
· Reports personal absences to supervisor allowing sufficient time to secure substitute.
· Reports vehicle maintenance problems to supervisor or Manager of Vehicle Maintenance.
· Attends all PCPS transportation meetings, as directed.
· Reports issues concerning students, parents, and/or school personnel to supervisor.
· Follows all transportation codes, policies and guidelines of Poquoson City Public Schools, Virginia Department of
Transportation and Virginia Department of Education.
· Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor and the Executive Director of Operations.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 180 days contracted yearly. Workshop/in-service as required.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Operations
EVALUATION: Performance on this job will be evaluated in accordance with School Board policy and regulations on
evaluation of non-licensed personnel.
APPROVED BY DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT: August 9, 2010