Coordinator For Family & Community Engagement
FLSA Status: Exempt
Grade: 3 (Administrative Salary Scale)
Revision Date: August 2, 2022
Location: Central Office
This position effectively designs and implements programs to promote the efficacy of families to engage with their child(ren)’s educational experiences and promote community partnerships. The incumbent also collaborates with Central Office staff, works with building leadership, and supports teaching staff by providing training, resources and tools to promote effective engagement. Through balanced professional development and support, the Coordinator for Family and Community Engagement enhances the capacity for schools to build effective family and community partnerships to support learning for all students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership to design, create and implement effective family and community engagement processes that support equity at all levels of the organization and the division’s Strategic Plan Goals.
- Designs and coordinates effective programs in the arena of family engagement to improve the capacity of schools to strengthen relationships with all families in support of student learning.
- Prepares and delivers professional learning opportunities in the areas of family engagement and cultural competence.
- Works with Central Office departments to compile and disaggregate data relating to the engagement of families and develops specific and measurable action items focused on improving engagement of employees and families. Prepares responses to requests for information regarding family engagement.
- Collaborates with division and school leadership, civic groups, partners and community organizations in the design of family outreach materials, events, workshops and presentations with a focus on traditionally disengaged and disenfranchised groups.
- Develops communication networks to enable school personnel, parents, and community leaders to be knowledgeable about division initiatives and to provide learning opportunities in culturally competent and non-discriminatory practices.
- Oversees, promotes, assesses, and reports on the volunteer program for WJCC.
- Supports and promotes the development of community and business partnerships.
- Manages collaborative division-community projects as assigned, like the Teacher Supply Shop.
- Coordinates efforts to expand access to advanced instructional programs and courses and works to strengthen community relationships to help offer all students college and career readiness opportunities.
- Coordinates and disseminates information and reports relative to family and community engagement.
- Assists families in exploring special school programs, understanding WJCC policies and procedures, availability of community programs and assistance, and participating in student and school activities.
- Coordinates with the Supervisor of Organizational Development and Equity to support division and school initiatives to promote multicultural awareness.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge and three years’ experience (or equivalent) in community and family engagement.
- Demonstrated accomplishments in engaging minority and disadvantaged students and families. Strong interpersonal and communications skills required.
- Knowledgeable of principles and methodologies associated with multicultural awareness.
- Knowledge of and experience with all forms of social media and communication technologies.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with administrators, teachers, families, and community representatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bilingual communication skills and abilities preferred.
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Strategic Communications Officer.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Highly diverse and complex duties. Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work on several projects and assignments concurrently. Must have initiative and assume responsibility for working productively with minimal supervision. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time in a busy office environment; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The incumbent will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the principal or appropriate administrator. WJCC Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.