Part-Time Elementary Food Service Manager (Multiple Positions Available)
Please note that this posting closes at 3:00 pm on the date listed above.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Bobbie Beach, Operations Manager, at (385)-646-6887 or email email@example.com.
Hourly manager positions available at Cottonwood Elementary School, Eastwood Elementary School, Morningside Elementary School, and Rosecrest Elemetary School.
|Job Title||Elementary Food Service Manager|
|Supervisor||Director / Manager|
|Last Review Date||July 2016|
Manages the day-to-day operations of the serving kitchen in the school. Helps in meal service, using ovens and warmers to get pre-prepared food ready for service according to package instructions. Oversees serving of food and preparation of counters and serving areas. Helps set-up food, helps with cleaning and serving areas and lunch tables. Attendance, physical presence, and timeliness are required and are essential functions of this position.
- Supervises and coordinates the preparation of approved menus and recipes and serving meals according to established polices and/or procedures.
- Directs, assigns, and schedules staff.
- Conducts training sessions for new employees; tracks hours worked.
- Provides evaluation input and address performance issues.
- Plans and coordinates daily work for efficient use of labor.
- Trans and assists employees in the proper handling of foods, correct use and care of equipment and high standards of sanitation and safety.
- Ensures equipment, storage, food preparation and service areas are maintained in a sanitary condition and complies with established polices and procedures, including state and federal requirements and/or regulations.
- Observes and enforces practices of proper food safety and sanitation.
- Implements school meal menus as created by the central kitchen.
- Estimates and orders food, condiments, and supplies to meet meal projections and minimize waste.
- Receives and verifies quantity, quality, and specification of food, condiments, and supply orders; ensure proper storage of orders in designated areas utilizing temperature requirements and food spoilage guidelines.
- Ensures the quality and portion control of food served.
- Supervises and coordinates food, condiments, and supply inventories to ensure availability of items required to meet meal projections.
- Supervises and participates in food preparation and serving to students and school personnel.
- Supervises and/or performs lunch clerk task (e.g., student meal account activities, point-of-service and/or cashiering activities, Free/Reduced Meal applications, etc.)
- Supervises food preparation, cooking and serving activities to ensure established polices and procedures and student needs are met (e.g., special diets, students with allergies, etc.)
- Ensures proper leftover use and documentation; monitors batch-cooking to control waste.
- Determines when equipment needs repairs; contracts the appropriate person and/or department and follows through until equipment is again operational.
- Checks freezers, refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, etc. to ensure proper operating temperature is being maintained and sanitation standards are being upheld.
- Maintains special diet plan paperwork; coordinates special diet plans with appropriate school and district personnel.
- Maintains, prepares, and reviews a variety of records, inventories, logs, and reports; ensures documentation is accurate and stored properly.
- Communicates with students, staff, school and district personnel, parents, etc. to exchange information, received suggestions and/or resolve issues related to Food Services.
- Supervises and participates with opening and closing of the Food Services areas prior to the beginning and after the end of the school year; assist with deep cleaning activities as needed.
- Must be willing to work at different Food Service locations throughout the school district as needed.
- Conforms to safety standards as prescribed
- Promotes school Food Service programs
- Participates in required department meetings, trainings and/or functions.
- Maintains appropriate permits, certifications and/or trainings as needed.
- Establish and monitor compliance with practices and procedures in the food service establishment to maintain compliance with department and local health department food safety rules (Utah Code 26-15a-107)
- Other duties as assigned*
Required Education and Qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent.
Food Safety Manager certification from a Utah Department of Health approved entity.
Six months of job-related experience.
Required Prior Experience
Six months of job-related experience.
Previous supervisory experience preferred.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge and skills in the management and maintenance of an elementary school kitchen.
- Positive public relations.
- Basic reading, writing and math skills
- Knowledge in completing preorders, production records, warehouse orders, running point-of-service.
- Ability to understand the different nutrient regulations associated with each program.
- Ability to successfully organize and supervise kitchen staff and create schedules to meet meal service needs.
- Must understand and follow federal lunch program guidelines.
Makes decisions concerning the best way to accomplish tasks assigned. Needs to be able to motivate people to work cooperatively and efficiently as a team. Must be able to handle emergencies as they arise.
Interactions with Others
Interacts positively with students, staff, managers, directors, vendors, and other district personnel. May also interact appropriately with police and other emergency agencies.
Supervise and provide assistance to hourly nutrition service employees.
Financially responsible to maintain and track inventory for food and supplies.
Responsible for daily account of cash transactions and deposits.
Standard commercial kitchen conditions including walk-in freezers and refrigeration rooms. There is daily exposure to heat, cold, and humidity. Steady flow of work required but in voluntary interruptions are common. Constant pressure to complete tasks and meet deadlines causes stress.
Physical Requirements – Not limited to the following:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and/or hear. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch. Occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel and must occasionally climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.