CAFETERIA WORKER (Part Time Position)
Job Title: Cafeteria Worker Exemption Status: Nonexempt
Reports to: Cafeteria Manager Date Revised: 07/2022
Dept./School: As assigned
Work under moderate supervision to prepare and serve appropriate quantities of food to meet menu requirements. Maintain high standards of quality in food production, sanitation, and safety practices.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalency
- Ability to understand written and verbal food preparation and safety instructions
- Working knowledge of kitchen equipment and food production procedures
- Ability to operate large and small kitchen equipment and tools
- Ability to perform basic math
Prior experience in job related field preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Food Preparation and Serving
1. Prepare quality food according to a planned menu of tested and uniform recipes.
2. Serve food according to meal schedules, board policies and administrative procedures, and practice and promote portion control and proper use of leftovers.
3. Store and handle food items and supplies safely and according to established procedures. Maintain a clean and organized storage area.
Safety and Sanitation
4. Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety standards and follow established procedures to meet high standards of cleanliness, health, and safety.
5. Keep garbage collection containers and areas neat and sanitary.
6. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report any conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor.
7. Maintain personal appearance and hygiene.
8. Handle and record cashier functions accurately as required by position assigned by cafeteria manager
9. Help record food requisitions and order necessary supplies.
10. Maintain daily food preparation records.
11. Promote teamwork and interaction with fellow staff members.
12. Complete annual continuing education requirements.
13. Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard large and small kitchen equipment and tools including electric slicer, mixer, pressure steamer, deep-fat fryer, sharp cutting tools, stove, oven, dishwasher, and food/utility cart
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stoop, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Continual walking; frequent climbing (ladder), grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, reaching/overhead reaching
Lifting: Frequent moderate lifting and carrying (15–44 pounds)
Environment: Work inside in commercial kitchen environment; exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, extreme humidity, noise, vibration, microwaves, biological hazards (bacteria, mold, fungi), chemical hazards (fumes, vapors, gases), electrical hazards; work with hands in water; work around machinery with moving parts; work on slippery surfaces
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.