This position performs highly skilled, master level mechanical and technical diagnostic work in the repair and maintenance of School Division vehicles and equipment. Diagnoses malfunctions in automotive equipment; removes and replaces worn or broken parts, and replaces fluids; enters maintenance data into computerized system. Supervises vehicle maintenance staff, providing customer assistance, maintaining administrative maintenance records, and assisting technicians in problem diagnostics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Diagnoses problems, and major repairs to cars, light trucks, and buses; ensures dependability and safety of operation; repairs problems relating to fuel injection, gas and diesel engines, computerized engine controls, manual and automatic transmissions, clutches, cooling, suspension, steering, brakes (hydraulic and air), tracks, hydraulics, and attachments.
- Independently diagnoses and makes repairs to equipment in the field.
- Performs Virginia State Inspections.
- Performs preventive maintenance to cars, light trucks, and buses.
- Enters maintenance data information into computerized system.
- Attends training sessions, classes and meetings.
- Assumes duties of Shop Foreman in his/her absence.
- Prepares, schedules, and provides required training to shop mechanics.
- Performs maintenance and repairs to shop equipment; performs general shop maintenance and cleans shop.
- Picks up and delivers vehicles for outside repair.
- Responds to after-hours calls.
- Performs quality control checks on completed repairs selected randomly.
- Performs tool inventories at random.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Graduation from high school supplemented by course work in automotive mechanics, and 6-9 years of experience as an automotive mechanic; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must have a good driving record based upon the criteria of the Williamsburg-James City County School Division.
- Possess a valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License with necessary endorsements to operate a school bus carrying passengers and equipped with air brakes.
- Possess and maintain a Virginia State Inspection License.
- Thorough knowledge of state inspection rules.
- Certification for performing Air Conditioning services.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engine and chassis units
- Comprehensive knowledge of methods, practices, and processes of repairing and overhauling automobiles, trucks, light trucks, and buses.
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational hazards, and safety regulations of the automotive industry.
- Skill in using specialized, diagnostic test equipment.
- Knowledge of the safe operation of all shop equipment, such as lifts, jacks, power tools and machines.
- Ability to train others on all assigned vehicles to repair, troubleshoot, diagnose drivability problems and component failures for specific cause.