Blind/Vision Impaired Specialist
Job | Posted 2 months ago
Qualified Applicants will be proficient in instructing Braille and be willing to work with students age 3-22. this position is itinerant and applicants must have access to a vehicle and be willing to travel to multiple schools. O&M certification is preferred but not required. The Teacher of the Visually Impaired will provide specialized instruction and services to meet the unique educational needs of students with visual impairments ages 3-21. Teachers of the Visually Impaired will conduct functional vision/learning media assessments and provide written reports.
Certification / Qualifications:
1. Valid teaching certificate and Endorsement for Visually Impaired, Special Education K- 12+
2. Licensure in Orientation and Mobility preferred, but not required
Report To: Special Education Director
SPED Blind/Vision Impaired Specialist
Essential Job Functions:
1. Provide and coordinate unique specialized instruction through daily lessons reflective of the curriculum and the student’s IEP.
2. Consult with classroom teachers, regular and special education personnel, parents, and students to coordinate programs and services for the visually impaired student.
3. Coordinate large-type or Braille texts, supplementary materials, educational aids and equipment; monitor student’s maximum participation in all classroom activities.
4. Provide instruction in the development and maintenance of skills as indicated in the IEP; low vision and visual efficiency skills, concept development and academic skills, daily living skills, communication skills, social/emotional skills and abilities, and sensory motor skills.
5. Collaborative with Individual Education Plan (IEP) team in developing student IEPs, including goals and supplementary aids and services.
6. Attend IEP meetings and required staff meetings.
7. Conduct and interpret functional vision/learning media assessments and complete written reports.
8. Compile and analyze data on student progress and use response to intervention to adjust interventions or strategies as indicated.
9. Use technology to communicate and to enhance student learning.
10.Plan and supervise the functions of classroom aides/assistants.
11.Maintains appropriate student behavior control and establish a productive classroom environment.
12.Conduct parent conferences.