School Counselor 12 Month
Salary Range: $59,179 - $99,131 (Full-Time, 12 Months Contract)
Performs intermediate professional work advising, assisting and counseling students; does related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects, and some light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires stooping, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Counseling students, providing guidance concerning attendance, enrollment, academics, scheduling, college and career opportunities; providing counseling relating to interpersonal, personal and family occurrences.
- Counsels students individually and in small groups for specifically identified needs as endorsed by recognized guidance curriculum;
- Confers with teachers, administrators and parents;
- Prepares and presents sessions regarding personal growth, school adjustment, career development, self-concept, attendance and related matters;
- Provides classroom group guidance sessions;
- Registers students and provides orientation regarding procedures and expectations;
- Advises students on subject selection; assists with organization administration and standardized testing; interprets test results for students, parents and administrators;
- Identifies special students and requests special services as necessary;
- Counsels students in the solution of personal problems, explores possible interventions and strategies on matters such as physical, mental or substance abuse, rape, pregnancy or suicide;
- Initiates, assembles and maintains accurate cumulative records and transcript records for students and protects their confidentiality;
- Provides data regarding college, employment and other alternatives;
- Encourages completion of educational programs;
- Informs students of available community services;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of school guidance counseling;
- General knowledge of community agencies available to serve and assist students;
- General knowledge of casework methods and procedures;
- Ability to conduct interviews and guidance sessions effectively and to analyze attitudes and problems objectively;
- Ability to counsel students and parents on sensitive problems and to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, parents, staff and administration.
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Must hold a Virginia Teaching License with an endorsement in School Counseling.
- Masters Degree from an accredited college or university in School Counseling.
- Successful prior experience in the field is preferred.
Employer Portion Paid Retirement, Life Insurance, Contribution to Medical Insurance, Sick Leave and Vacation (12 Months Contract)
FLSA Status: Exempt