Hillsdale Behavior Health Assistant (BHA)
Please note that this posting closes at 3:00 pm on the date listed above.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact, Monica Thayer Principal, at (385)-646- 4864 or email email@example.com.
Hours per week: 29
|Job Title||Behavior Health Assistant (BHA)|
|Department||College & Career Readiness|
|Salary Schedule||Paraeducator 88|
|Last Review Date||June 2020|
Behavior Health Assistants work closely with the Social Worker to identify, track and support students in receiving access to the general curriculum. Attendance and physical presence are required and is an essential function of this position.
• A BHA will track behaviors of general education students who have been identified by the SST through MTSS.
• A BHA will work with students, identified by the SST, who exhibit significant behavioral and/or emotional problems.
• A BHA will track student contracts for completion, signatures, etc.
• A BHA will work with identified students to promote positive behaviors and help decrease or de-escalate negative behaviors.
• A BHA will collaborate and communicate regularly with teachers, social workers, school psychologists and other support personnel.
• A BHA will check on students in their classrooms or other areas to help them avoid potential problems and reinforce positive behavior.
• A BHA will provide direct behavioral support by prompting, redirecting, encouraging, and reinforcing positive behavior.
• A BHA will provide support for targeted students in transitional or less structured environments (i.e., hallways, lunchroom, assemblies, library, and recess).
• A BHA will assist and support students in crisis.
• A BHA will collect required data and share with the SST as needed.
- Other duties as assigned*
Required Knowledge and Skills
Basic reading, writing and math skills.
Ability to interact positively with students.
Ability to assist students in a variety of situations that may arise.
Required Education and Qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent
Required Prior Experience
Interactions with Others
Positive interaction of students, teachers, social workers, psychologists, support personnel and administrators.
Supervision of students being supported.
Supervision of a student in a service location outside the classroom setting for the purpose of de-escalation.
Work setting is mainly in the classroom setting. May be asked to work inside and outside the building to accomplish assigned tasks. Working conditions can be in hot and cold weather. May experience stress from disruptive students and/or groups of students.
Physical Requirements – Not limited to the following:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and/or hear.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel and must occasionally climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to stand and sit for long periods of time.
Note: The list of essential and marginal functions and of physical requirements is not exhaustive and may be supplemented in accordance with the requirements of the job.