Education Assistant - Inclusion
EDUCATION ASSISTANT – INCLUSION
Hiring Pay Range: $15.85 - $16.82 per hour, DOE
FTE: .4125 16.5 hours per week
Location: Orange Grove Middle School
Target Start Date: 8/5/2022
Under immediate supervision of certified teaching staff, subject specialists or Program Director of the school and/or physical therapist. Performs work of moderate difficulty assisting in the structured education of students with special needs within a regular classroom setting. Assignment may be with severely multiply impaired students of any grade level.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a complete listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this job class.)
- Work individually with students with special needs and support educational progress of the student’s established Individual Education Program.
- Modify lessons, instructional materials, quizzes and tests for student accessibility and comprehension.
- Conduct parallel teaching/tutoring.
- Take notes for student.
- Work with small groups of students.
- Maintain behavior reinforcement programs for positive and negative behavior.
- Provide physical support and assistance to assure student moves between classroom locations in a timely manner.
- Assist with major personal, physical and custodial needs of the student including feeding, lifting, positioning, assisted walking, pushing a wheelchair and toilet needs.
- Assist with range of motion exercises, physical/occupational therapy programs and physical education.
- Assist student in developing fine and gross motor skills, balance and interpreting directions.
- Assist with speech therapy.
- Follow established medical emergency plans for medically frail and medically involved students as needed.
- Teach life skills and study skills.
- Write and submit progress reports.
- Assist other special needs students as needed.
- Use a variety of methods, such as assistive software, sign language, Braille and typing/writing for the student, to communicate with student and assist student in developing functional communications skills.
- Monitor and document student activities and progress for teacher and parental review.
- Assist teachers in carrying out education program.
- Assist teachers in working with special needs children.
- Attend consultations with specialists to meet needs of special needs children.
- Interact with children to encourage positive self-concept and enthusiasm for the discovery process.
- Prepare classroom and playground as needed.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Adhere to the goals, policies and procedures of the program.
Highly Desired Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics:
Knowledge of CFSD and school policies and procedures regarding inclusion of special needs students.
Knowledge of curriculum content for assigned area and/or student’s Individual Education Program.
Knowledge of universal precautions required when exposed to blood, mucus, saliva, urine, and bowel movements.
Knowledge of proper emergency medical care, body positioning/mechanics and CPR.
Knowledge appropriate oral and physical intervention methods for special needs students.
Knowledge of basic behavioral modification and motivation techniques and practices.
Knowledge of available methods to modify classroom assignments.
Knowledge of proper techniques in handling, lifting, and carrying students
Skill in safely lifting, moving and working with special needs students.
Skill in using specialized tools such as adaptive computer software, adaptive therapy equipment and augmentative communication devices.
Skill in communicating effectively, orally and in writing.
Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff, administrators, students and parents.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Associates degree preferred and six months of working with special needs children.
CPR certificate and First Aid certificate are required within one (1) year of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity Policy
CFSD is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to sex (which includes a prohibition against sexual harassment as described in the District’s policy concerning sexual harassment), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ethnicity, religion, creed, age, or disability.