STEM Lab Assistant - Part-Time
Effective: August 2, 2022
Must be Highly Qualified.
In order to be Highly Qualified applicant must have at least one of the following qualifications:
1. Passed the Praxis Test for Para-Professionals or agree to take the test and receive a passing score
2. 48 hours of successful college course work - upload your college transcript to document the hours
3. An Associate's Degree or higher - upload your college transcript to document your degree
The STEM Lab Assistant will be responsible for engaging students in STEM lessons for K-5 grades using a variety of materials that encourage the engineering design process and problem based learning that promotes the development of 21st century workforce skills.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist students in locating reference and other instructional materials for the purpose of facilitating the proper and efficient use of media center books, materials and equipment.
- Assist in reinforcement in reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction, media and other skills.
- Assist in maintaining the circulation desk operations and circulation files.
- Work with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning.
- Operate audio visual equipment as needed.
- Assist in cataloging and filing learning materials.
- Construct, copy, distribute and use educational materials.
Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Assist in the utilization and maintenance of instructional and non-instructional equipment, including a personal computer if necessary.
- Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform complex arithmetic operations.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to follow directives of teacher, media specialist or other supervisor, and assist students with respect to instructional and non-instructional tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of college level coursework or passing of examination as required by the No Child Left Behind Act.
- Prior experience working with children desirable.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt