3 Grade - DLI Chinese
Position starting: August 10, 2022
1 year contract
Hiring Manager: Paul Finlayson
Elementary Dual Language Immersion Teacher (Chinese, French, Portuguese, or Spanish)
Alpine School District seeks Elementary Dual Language Immersion Teachers (Chinese, French, Portuguese, or Spanish) in Utah County, Utah. Elementary Dual Language Immersion Teachers (Chinese, French, Portuguese, or Spanish) are responsible for creating a positive learning environment where students develop the skills to become critical thinkers, problem solvers, lifelong learners and productive citizens. Also responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing an appropriate instructional program in an elementary learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. Instruct students in the target language (Chinese, French, Portuguese, or Spanish) by listening, speaking, and writing with students in Chinese, French, Portuguese, or Spanish. Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, the following: Duties: (1) Teach Chinese, French, Portuguese, or Spanish Immersion at the elementary school level (Kindergarten through Sixth Grade) as outlined in USBE’s Curriculum, and adopted by the Board of Education, correlated with other approved learning activities; (2) Responsible for teaching the target language culture as well as basic writing, reading and speaking in the target language; (3) Develop in all students the skills of creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, communication, character, and citizenship, using the target language; (4) Demonstrate an ability to teach instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of the students; (6) Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom; (7) Evaluate students’ academic and social growth, maintain appropriate records, and prepare progress reports; (8) Communicate with parents through conferences, telephone calls, email, student planners, school website, and other appropriate means, to discuss the students’ progress; (9) Identify student needs and logical challenges; (10) Ability to supervise and provide/maintain a safe and supportive environment in the classroom and the school campus; (11) Administer appropriate student attendance policies and procedures; (12) Maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, school staff, district staff and members of the community; (13) Participate in appropriate educator evaluation procedures per district guidelines; (14) Model professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, colleagues, and members of the community; (15) Responsible for understanding and adhering to laws, district policies, and procedures; (16) Demonstrate professional ethics as outlined by the Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission; and (17) Other duties as assigned. [NOTE: This position could be at any of the elementary schools located in the Alpine School District, all of which are in Utah County, Utah.] Requirements: (A) Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field; (B) Hold or be eligible to obtain within two years of the date of hire a valid Professional Educator License from the Utah State Board of Education within the relevant “License Area of Concentration” and DLI endorsement; (C) Receive an advanced-mid or higher language proficiency rating in the target language of instruction (Chinese, French, Portuguese, or Spanish) from the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL); (D) A District-approved cleared background check; (E) Demonstrably good oral and written communication skills; (F) Demonstrably good computer and education technological skills; (G) Demonstrable ability to work as part of a team; (H) Demonstrable ability to supervise students indoors and outdoors recess duty, gym activities, etc.) in all types of weather and air quality; (I) Demonstrable ability to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. Qualified applicants should submit an application at https://alpineschools.org/employment/.
- Early Childhood
- Elementary 1-8
- Elementary K-6
- Must be able to teach Dual Language Immersion
- Fluent in the _______ language
Elementary Classroom Teacher
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
- Develops and administers school elementary curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Instructs students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of the c school system.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other elementary professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Supervises students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including activities involving school transportation.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with District testing programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of elementary school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.