JOB TITLE: SCHOOL SECRETARY
DEPARTMENT: Altar Valley Middle School
REPORTS TO: Principal
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SUPERVISORY DUTIES: None
HOURLY RATE: $14.00 - $17.75
SUMMARY: Provides confidential secretarial support to school principal, parents, students and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greets visitors, receives phone calls, determining which are priority matters and alerts administrator accordingly.
- Manages administrator’s schedule, calendar and e-mail including making registration and travel arrangements.
- Distributes, composes and creates correspondence such as reports, meeting minutes, announcements, bulletins, grants, evaluations, flyers, brochures and policy guidelines.
- Orders office and instructional supplies and maintains records of purchase orders, invoices and requisitions.
- Assist in tracking district programs, departmental budgets or grants.
- Maintains correspondence, personnel files and other information files.
- Manages mail through sorting, distributing, prioritizing and preparing bulk mail as needed.
- Researches a wide variety of information, providing information to administrators, teachers and staff.
- Serve as a backup and assists other office positions when needed.
- Monitors and maintains time entry system attendance and related time keeping systems for school staff.
- Submits and monitors various requests to other departments such as maintenance work orders, print shop requests, transportation needs, technology work orders and rental requests.
- Responds to emergency situations and communicates to the administrator.
- Diffuses potentially confrontational or volatile situations.
- Manages the registration and withdrawal of students, including assignment of class and bus routes.
- Manages the receiving, sending and maintenance of student records.
- Assists in the coordination of student registration.
- Receives and enters student enrollment information for both returning and new students.
- Maintains student/parent/guardian information for both returning and new students.
- Compiles an enrollment report to include the enrollment of students per teacher, subject and period.
- Ensures student schedules are entered into the system and printed for distribution.
- Performs all attendance duties. Implements new guidelines for attendance into existing procedures.
- Acts a resource for school and District personnel as well as a leader within the location’s office.
- May be asked to prepare materials for the Governing Board.
- Serves as school registrar and student record keeper.
- Maintains the flow of positive behavior incentives and awards on a regular basis.