MECKLENBURG COUNTY DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT
Mecklenburg County, a rural community with population of approximately 30,000, is located in south central Virginia and covers 625 square miles. With a proud history, beautiful rolling hills, natural resources, and easy access to two major metropolitan areas—Richmond to the north and Raleigh, North Carolina, to the south, Mecklenburg is a great location.
Buggs Island Lake, Lake Gaston, Occoneechee State Park, and North Bend Park provide wonderful opportunities for camping, hiking, fishing, swimming, and just relaxing! Hosting several celebrations throughout the year (Virginia Lake Festival/Lakefest, Harvest Days Festival, Wine Festivals and numerous fishing tournaments) which encourage a strong sense of community and camaraderie, Clarksville, VA is touted as Virginia’s only “Lakeside Town” and is known as an “outdoor enthusiast’s paradise.”
THE SCHOOL DIVISION
Budget – $63,500.00
Total Student Enrollment – ~3800
Personnel – ~950 (600 full-time)
Boasting a Progressive Literacy Career Program with 6 Career Academies (Advanced Technology, International Business & Culture, Law & Leadership, Health & Human Services, Environmental Science and STEM), MCPS is focused on preparing our students for both continued education as well as transitioning into the workforce. A newly constructed Middle School/High School combined complex is opening in August 2022 with state-of-the-art CTE equipment, athletic fields, classrooms and resources. Our four elementary schools are in the planning stages of renovation as well. These facilities serve approximately 3800 students enrolled in Mecklenburg County Public Schools. We are proud of the commitment of our high-quality teachers, strong parental involvement in our schools and the overwhelming community support for our school division.
The Mecklenburg County School Board is seeking a deputy superintendent to invest the next year in developing and executing the continuation of the vision of growth and excellence. This candidate will succeed the current superintendent and lead the school division as it continues its pursuit of excellence. The Board has identified qualities, skills, and experiences needed for the next superintendent. The successful candidate must demonstrate ability and success in the following areas:
- Team player, comfortable with shared decision-making.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect.
- Decisive leader who is a visionary and a creative thinker.
- Be a competent leader, good listener, and accessible.
- Effectively mediates and accommodates different perspectives.
- Maintains open channels of communication to and from staff.
- Effectively advocates school issues and needs.
- Lobbies for school funding on behalf of the school division.
- Strong knowledge of curriculum and instruction.
- Experience as a principal is strongly preferred.
- Central office administrator experience is preferred.
- It is preferred that the successful candidate reside in or immediately around Mecklenburg County.
- Candidates must meet the legal requirements to be licensed or be eligible for licensure as a superintendent in Virginia consistent with Virginia Code § 22.1-60.
- Salary shall be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- The Mecklenburg County School Board intends to initially review and screen all written
applications, identify those candidates who best meet the required and desired criteria and then move forward with interviews of those finalists. Screening is ongoing and immediate.
FLSA category: Salary Exempt, payable once per month for 12 months.
Salary to be contracted with the School Board based on experience.