Scholastic Bowl Coach
Job | Posted a month ago
Scholastic Bowl Coach
- Instruct students in the fundamental skills, strategy and training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success.
- Provide instruction and guidance that will lead to the formulation and enhancement of self-confidence, self-discipline, good sportsmanship, acceptable social behavior, pride of accomplishment and moral values.
- Assist students with developing material to be used in competition
The coach is responsible for:
- Organizing a Scholastic Bowl team
- Overseeing weekly practice sessions as required for proficiency
- Establishing and monitoring practice/behavior standards required for students to enter tournaments and underlines dress code
- Provides for the safety of students, facilities, and equipment while conducting all activities/practices/competitions.
- Mastering the rules for competition and ensuring student understanding
- Ensures knowledge in and follows the guidelines of the Virginia High School League.
- Coordinating transportation for competition (to include taking students to competition, as necessary)
- Coordinating and participating in fundraisers to support the program such as purchasing scripts, books, etc. for competition material.
- Coordinating and facilitating VHSL competition as well as local league competitions/Invitationals (to include Saturday).
- Attend and participate in Piedmont District, Region 4D, and VHSL functions/events.
- Enforcing academic requirements, and verifying each student’s eligibility to participate in scholastic bowl activities.
- Promotes academic excellence and performance by students.
- Meet with the Principal and/or Student Activities Administrator as needed.
- Facilitating all administrative processes necessary for safety, legal compliance, permissions, etc., including but are not limited to:
- Distributing drug forms and provide them to AD
- Constructing permission forms and communicate weekly with parents
- Monitoring grades of participating students to determine eligibility
- Providing master eligibility list to athletic director
- Participating in or conducting various informational meetings as required
- Corresponding with host school providing necessary information such as student participants, categories, etc.
- Ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Ability to serve as a positive role model.
- Ensures that members understand the expectations of the Scholastic Bowl Team, represent academic excellence with the school, and serve as good role models for the student body.
- Possesses strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and parents.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Responsible for advising and overseeing the practices and competitions.
- Candidate should have knowledge of teaching and coaching techniques of the activity for which he/she is applying; prior experience as a participant on a middle/high school team, or the equivalent would be preferred; previous coaching experience in other sports will be considered.
- Candidate must complete all required information and background checks designated through the MCPS Policy Manual.
Type of Contract: Supplemental Extracurricular Activity Contract