Human Resources Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt
Grade: 18 (Educational Support Salary Scale)
Revision Date: December 1, 2015
Location: Central Office
This position performs Human Resources-related duties at the professional level and carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: employment, employee relations, licensure, onboarding, professional development, benefits administration, and compensation management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts recruitment effort for all exempt and non-exempt personnel and temporary employees, facilitates the internal transfer process, composes and places advertisements.
- Maintains Human Resources Information System records, prepares employment contracts and payroll adjustments, and compiles reports.
- Confers with building and central office administrators and staff on policies, procedures, laws, standards, and government regulations as needed.
- Objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult, and emotional issues.
- Make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations, or government law.
- Advises individuals of process for obtaining a professional license. May assist with the preparation of appropriate correspondence and forms for the Virginia Department of Education to facilitate licensure requests when necessary. Works with faculty and building administrators on licensure issues.
- Serves on various division-wide committees as delegated by the Senior Director of Human Resources or the Director of Employment.
- Conducts position audits and classification analysis. Interviews employees, consults with supervisors, and prepares position descriptions.
- Conducts new hire orientation; educates and informs employees about the division’s benefit programs, and assists employees with all benefits related paperwork.
- Represents the division for unemployment claims.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Administration, Education or related area of study. Master’s degree and Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)/Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI) certification preferred.
5–7 years of related Human Resources or school administration experience preferred.
Knowledge of employment law and other government compliance regulations.
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Director of Employment.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work on several projects and assignments concurrently. Strong interpersonal skills required in working with diverse groups. Must have initiative and assume responsibility for working productively with minimal supervision. Minimal seasonal recruitment travel required. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time in a busy office environment; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The incumbent will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the principal or appropriate administrator. WJCC Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.