JobID 334 : Social Worker (#336011)
Posted 5 days ago
The Social Worker is responsible for providing comprehensive school social work services for students with autism spectrum disorders and functions as a member of the educational and therapeutic team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide treatment, including program planning, on-going evaluation, consultation and education to the family and student
- Liaison with team members, parents, district professionals, and others involved in the education/treatment of the student
- Comply with professional code of ethics and school policies
- Maintain professional documentation including session notes and quarterly reports, IEP goals and reports and three year re-evaluations
- Maintain student files including appropriate documentation and student attendance to sessions
- Participate in direct supervision of students and assistance with activities of daily living as needed
- Participate in team meetings and professional development sessions
- Consult and collaborate with classroom teachers, therapists, and in inclusion settings
- Facilitate professional development sessions for all staff
- Work with Program Assistants to model strategies, discuss student progress, and assess student needs
- Adhere to company policies and procedures
- Complete any other essential duties that may be assigned
The responsibilities listed above are representative and not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned by supervisors.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to effectively interpret and communicate assessment results, evaluations, and proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by team members, the district, and parents
- Knowledge of autism spectrum disorders
- Ability to treat students with autism spectrum disorders
- Familiarity with relevant diagnostic tools and procedures
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards
- Knowledge of the use and maintenance of facilities and equipment
- Knowledge of sensory and behavioral strategies
- Knowledge of child development theory
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements
- Ability to use computers (word processing software, therapeutic/educational software)
- Strong written and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of relevant tools used for school social work programming
Minimum Job Requirements
Master’s degree in social work; appropriate state licensure in social work is also required
The Social Worker is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Salary is commensurate with level of education and experience.
The Social Worker follows the Day School Staff Calendar.
Conditions of Employment
- Pre-employment physical, drug screening, and criminal background check
- Possesses appropriate professional credentials
- Passing PCM training is a requirement of this position. Participation in PCM training and adherence to the Professional Crisis Management Association’s guidelines require at least average physical fitness. Any physical limitations or conditions that may impact one’s ability to participate in PCM training or PCM must be made known to Giant Steps upon application, as performance of various physical tasks is a bona fide occupational requirement of this position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is typically performed indoors within the school facility
- Moderate physical movement is required for the job
- Moderate exposure to physical risk is anticipated
- The noise level in this work environment varies from quiet to very loud.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continually required to stand, walk, sit, run, squat, kneel, crawl, climb, balance, crouch, talk, hear, smell, and see. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50+ pounds.
Annual Performance Review
- An annual performance review will be conducted each spring by the Program Coordinator.
- The Social Worker will complete a self-assessment of his/her performance and submit the self-assessment to the Program Coordinator two weeks prior to his/her annual review each spring.
Giant Steps Illinois, Inc. provides a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage to all full time employees who work a minimum of 30 hours/week.
Affirmative Action Plan/Equal Employment Opportunity (AAP/EEO)
Giant Steps adheres to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including: veteran status, disability, religion, race, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth or FMLA related medical condition, height, weight, familial status, marital status and genetic information.
This disclaimer is to acknowledge that it is highly probable that as an employee of Giant Steps Illinois, Inc., you are at risk of personal injury. Injuries may include, but are not limited to hitting, biting, kicking, scratching, and having hair pulled. The extent of some injuries may result in a break in the skin. All injuries must be documented according to the policies and procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook. Often, individuals are placed in this setting as a result of physical aggression or acting out behaviors that may prohibit them from participating in other environments. Our setting allows for these atypical behaviors. All employees are required to show proof of a Hepatitis B vaccination upon hire.
*Giant Steps Illinois, Inc. has the ability to review and change the job description when necessary.