This position performs a variety of functions in a school library media center, assisting the Library Media Specialist in the operation of the media center, and assisting teachers and students in the full use of library services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
- Maintains up-to-date media libraries. Follows copyright guidelines for media usage.
- Assists in controlling status of books in circulation and generates overdue and other computerized reports.
- Shelves returned books; replaces incorrectly shelved books; labels and mends books.
- Schedules off-air tapings and communicates with teachers regarding tapings, including deletion dates and descriptions. Informs teachers of programs that are available for recording and follow-up regarding availability.
- Assists students with location and use of media center materials. Monitors students with communication/broadcast and distance-learning projects.
- Ensures proper use of shared resources (laminator, die-cut machine, etc.). Maintains adequate supply inventory and instructs staff on appropriate use when necessary.
- Maintains circulation and inventory of audio-visual equipment and laptop carts for daily, overnight, or extended use. Ensures all equipment is in working order.
- Maintains up-to-date electronic bulletin board information.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
High school diploma or equivalent required. Some experience in an office setting, preferably in a school library. Must possess a general knowledge of the procedures, practices, and equipment of a school library center; ability to learn standard library tasks readily and to adhere to prescribed routines; ability to operate standard office machines; ability to operate data processing and audio-visual equipment.
Receives supervision from the Media Specialist(s).
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal/typewriter; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 50 pounds.https://wjccschools.org/job/media-assistant/
Grade 7 minimum hourly rate = $14.68/hr
10-month (190 days) position paid over 12 months. Position is eligible for medical & dental insurance, retirement & life insurance benefits, and paid sick/personal leave.