Student Information Specialist
PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
FARMVILLE, VA 23901
Title: Student Information Specialist
Reports To: Coordinator of Technology and Assessments
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Summary: To implement, support, and monitor functions of the student information system
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES *Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages operations and troubleshooting of the Student Information System (PowerSchool)
- Ensures accuracy of Student Information System data and complies with state or federal reporting requirements
- Provides in-depth knowledge and expertise to all stakeholders of the Student Information System database and the reporting capabilities of the system
- Provides Student Information System training to staff based on identified needs, including health records, discipline, food service, student grading, scheduling, special education, attendance, etc.
- Analyzes how data can be used by the division to best serve student needs
- Develops and implements routine system queries and reports to meet district and third-party data provisioning or integration needs
- Establishes and monitors data entry processes and standards while utilizing reporting tables and data forms for more efficient operations
- Applies system-wide workflows and processes to integrated internal and external databases
- Develops and revises processes and procedures, standards and guidelines relating to the Student Information System
- Provides relevant data to district committees, teams, and those responsible for report monitoring
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Desired candidate to have practical experience and knowledge of school operations. Requires effective communication and customer service skills. Excellent computer skills using Windows operating systems and database systems. Proficiency in using a student information system (PowerSchool), Google Workspace, and Microsoft 365. Multitask and prioritize issues as they arise.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience in school systems and school database management
- Knowledge of Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Associate degree (preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with PowerSchool (preferred)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to clearly articulate thought, actively listen, share knowledge, and recognize need to adapt communications to different audiences.
- Ability to manage own time and effort; flexibility and a willingness to learn. Knowledge of office procedures and database management methods and practices related to student information including confidentiality requirements.
- Knowledge of division regulations, policies, procedures, and processes focused on student enrollment and student records maintenance.
- Ability to learn local, state, and federal laws and regulations related to assigned responsibilities.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Twelve-month employment. Salary to be determined by the School Board.
Performance of the position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Prince Edward County School Board’s policy on evaluation of classified personnel.
Revised: May 2006/January2009/April 2014 / May 2022
Approved by: Superintendent