School Nurse (RN) 10 MO
Title: School Nurse (RN)
Salary: $33,866 -$51,548
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK:
Performs intermediate professional work ensuring the health of students in schools; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the supervisor of Health Care Services. Limited supervision may be exercised over Assistant School Nurses, student RNs and LPNs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
- Providing nursing care and physical screening to students; maintaining and operating a school clinic; preparing and maintaining student and clinic records.
- Performs health care services to students and staff in school system;
- Performs nursing assessment of each student sent to school health clinic;
- Makes observations and assesses condition; implements health care plan for each student examined;
- After observation and assessment, counsels with student, parents and/or teachers about problems observed;
- Counsels students about immediate health concerns;
- Administers medications and first aid;
- Screens and tests students for hearing and vision problems, height, weight, blood pressure and scoliosis;
- Refers students for medical care as needed; performs specialized medical procedures;
- Observes students for communicable diseases;
- Keeps logs of visits and care given;
- Provides instruction on nutrition, hygiene, grooming, weight control, first aid, disease prevention, substance abuse and related health concerns for students and staff;
- Attends child 504 study and eligibility meetings for medical interpretations;
- Provides preliminary screening for physical exams for referral to special education;
- Ensures compliance with required immunizations and school physicals;
- Provides health counseling to students, parents and other school personnel;
- Maintains clinic cleanliness; ensures that adequate and proper supplies are available;
- Maintains records of treatment and performs followup tasks;
- Provides health education materials and information;
- Prepares and maintains student and clinic records;
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of the common medical practices, procedures and techniques associated with a standard physical examination; thorough knowledge of the preliminary diagnosis of medical problems and the administration of medications related to treatment and first aid; thorough knowledge of health education principles, practices, and procedures; ability to administer medications and apply therapeutic treatments as required; ability to follow technical oral and written instructions in exact detail; ability to maintain accurate records.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited school of nursing supplemented by a bachelor’s degree in nursing with some experience in community health, emergency or pediatric nursing.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:Possession of a valid appropriate license as a Registered Nurse issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia and CPR certification.