Online PE/Health Teacher Digital Education Center
Physical Education/Health Teacher - Online
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, follows Utah State Board of Education and Tooele County School Districts' P.E. Health Core Standards to develop students' physical skills and abilities, strength, agility, poise, coordination, and teamwork; to develop students' understanding of the importance of exercise to physical and mental well-being; and to motivate students to work towards, physical fitness, hygiene, and good health.
- Prepares students for college and career readiness.
- Develops and administers Physical Education classes consistent with the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) P.E. Core Standards and Tooele County School District (TCSD) goals and objectives.
- Teaches knowledge of, and develops skills and abilities in, physical fitness, rhythm and dance, coordination and agility, exercise, and sports,
- Develops students' concepts in leadership, teamwork, responsibility and social skills; providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and appropriate feedback to regarding student progress, expectations, and goals.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student growth and progress in physical educational activities, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Assists in coordinating extra-curricular activities, including student performances, assembles, and athletic events.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within physical education and grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Uses appropriate resources and equipment while maintaining inventory records.
- Inspects equipment and field areas used to ensure they are in good and safe working order.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current physical education instructional methods, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding education and students, as well as relating to health education.
- Knowledge of physiology, health and nutrition, biology and biological functions, anatomy, hygiene, exercise, and best ways to promote physical and mental well-being.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Works in various gymnasium, athletic fields, and standard office and school building environments.
- USBE License Level: AEL or Professional
- USBE License Area: Secondary Education
- USBE Endorsement: Physical Education
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
Note for Teachers licensed outside of the state of Utah: Reciprocity with other states regarding licensure is not guaranteed and is contingent on fulfilling minimum license and endorsement requirements for Utah. For more information about obtaining a Utah license go to www.schools.utah.gov/cert/Out-of-State-License.aspx
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
Successful prior teaching or student teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Full time, 187 days per year, paid over 12 months
Certified Salary Schedule
Benefit Eligible at a certified, full time rate
8 days sick leave and 4 days personal leave per fiscal year