Purchasing - Buyer
Job | Posted 8 days ago
Contract and Benefits
Hours a day: 8
Hourly rate: Professional Salary Schedule, Lane B - D, Depending on education and experience
Starting date: 05/16/2021
- Name: Kraig Brinkerhoff
- Phone: 801-610-8040
- Email: email@example.com
Purpose Statement The job of BUYER is done for the purpose/s of providing support to department activities with specific responsibility for implementing strategic purchasing activities in compliance with mandated requirements; overseeing daily activities; responding to a range of inquiries regarding processes or bid status and/or sources; and achieving department objectives and goals within budget.
- Administers bidding process and contracts for vendor performance/compliance within established limits (e.g. prepare specifications, evaluate bids, recommend vendors, conduct bid meetings, etc.) for the purpose of securing items and/or services within budget and in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Assists auditors in providing requested information for the purpose of providing necessary documentation for completion of audit.
- Compiles data from a wide variety of sources (e.g. vendors, staff, public agencies, etc.) for the purpose of analyzing issues, ensuring compliance with a wide variety of purchasing policies and procedures, and/or monitoring purchasing processes.
- Consults with Utah State Purchasing for the purpose of developing requirements and specifications for statewide bids, RFPs and/or contracts.
- Coordinates a variety of activities (e.g. pre-bid meetings, shipping of supplies and equipment, surplus equipment, etc.) for the purpose of completing activities and/or delivering services in a timely manner.
- Evaluates order and bid documentation (e.g. requisitions, change orders, bids, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring proper use of district funds in the acquisition of supplies, equipment and/or services.
- Evaluates vendors for the purpose of determining their capability for performing to established specifications.
- Issues purchase orders, etc. for the purpose of completing purchasing processes in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintains purchasing information, files and records (e.g. RFPs, purchase orders, vender files, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of documentation and compliance with established policies and regulatory guidelines.
- Negotiates with vendors for the purpose of resolving purchasing issues and/or ensuring purchases are within state and district requirements/regulations.
- Participates in unit meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Prepares written materials and electronic financial information (e.g. purchase orders, advertisements, policies and procedures, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing reference, conveying information, and complying with established financial, legal and/or administrative requirements.
- Presents information on administrative procedures, services, regulations, etc. for the purpose of training and orienting other personnel and/or disseminating information to appropriate parties.
- Processes purchasing-related information (e.g. bid documents, tabulations, requisitions, electronic procurement, product specifications, statements of work, performance terms, contracts, etc.) for the purpose of updating and distributing information, authorizing for action and/or complying with established accounting practices.
- Researches contracts, suppliers, equipment and regulations, including evaluation of new products for the purpose of ensuring compliance with budgetary guidelines.
- Responds to alarm calls on nights/weekends and holidays for the purpose of ensuring that warehouse and offices are secure.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources for the purpose of providing information, direction and/or appropriate referrals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
SKILLS are required to perform single, technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet
changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job
include: operating standard office equipment including utilizing pertinent software applications; planning and
managing projects; budgeting and financial management; and developing effective working relationships.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read
technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and analyze situations to
define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the
functions of the job include: personnel processes; pertinent codes, policies, regulations and/or laws; federal and state
purchasing regulations; and relevant education codes.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities and/or meetings; routinely gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use
basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; analyze data
utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to
work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize
job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with
data requires analysis based on organizational objectives; and problem solving with equipment is limited to
moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
communicating with diverse groups; meeting deadlines and schedules; working as part of a team; flexible to
changing conditions; working with multiple projects; dealing with frequent interruptions and changing priorities; and
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized routines; directing other persons within
a small work unit; tracking budget expenditures. Utilization of resources from other work units is often required to
perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to significantly impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some
lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine
finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a
generally clean and healthy environment.
Experience: Job related experience in purchasing with increasing levels of responsibility is desired.
Education: Associates and/or vocational school degree with study in job-related area. Buyer certifications preferred.
Equivalency: Combination of 2 years Buying experience and/or Education in related field.
Certificates and Licenses:
Continuing Educ. / Training: State of Utah proficiency exam and Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) certification or NIGP, CPP certification preferred.
Pre-Employment Proficiency Test may be required
Valid Driver’s License & Evidence of Insurability
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance