Math Coach - Grades K-5
TITLE: Mathematics Coach (K - 5) – 10 MONTHS
Under the supervision of the Department of Teaching and Learning, the Mathematics Coach (K-5) provides district-wide supports and guidance on math curriculum, instruction, assessment, and intervention for all students in grades K - 5. Candidates should have experience in teaching; designing and building curriculum; developing assessments and analyzing student performance data; creating, organizing, and leading professional learning experiences for instructional leaders and teachers and is accountable for driving student outcomes. The Mathematics Coach must be able to develop and maintain relationships with vital external partner organizations to enhance learning opportunities for instructional leaders and teachers.
The Mathematics Coach will be expected to collaborate with the PreK-12 Mathematics Coach(s) in addition to supporting elementary school learning. This will include supporting projects and working collaboratively to ensure articulation in math teaching and learning from elementary through high school.
- Contribute to the district-wide vision for elementary school mathematics teaching and learning.
- Support and inform the development of resources, including curriculum and assessments, aligned to Standards of Learning for math, that will result in student growth.
- Support teacher practice via professional learning, curriculum supports, programmatic supports, and partnerships with the goal of improving student outcomes.
- Design and facilitate professional learning for elementary school teachers, instructional leaders, and administrators based on division needs and recommendations from Department of Teaching & Learning.
- Create tools and resources that demonstrate instructional best practices in elementary mathematics.
- Research, evaluate, and prepare recommendations on instructional materials, effective pedagogy, technology use, and other relevant policy guidance for all elementary mathematics students.
- Support school teams in implementing strategies from their Continuous School Improvement Plans (CSIPs) to drive student growth and achievement.
- Provide differentiated instructional support in schools through working:
- directly with teachers to model and support the use of effective, research-based instructional practices that is guided by data/evidence.
- collaboratively with teams (Administration, Departments, ITCs, Coaches, etc.) to drive data-informed instructional planning and be accountable for targeted outcomes.
- with school-based leadership teams to meet school and division goals.
- Develop, coordinate, and maintain relationships with external partners associated with mathematics teaching and learning.
- Collaborate within the Office of Teaching and Learning and across Central Office and schools to ensure alignment and coherence of division priorities.
- Perform related duties as required to support the priorities of the strategic plan of the Department of Teaching & Learning.
- Communicate with clarity the agreed upon strategies and norms for supporting networks and schools.
To be successful and achieve the above responsibilities, the Mathematics Coach (K – 5) must possess the following qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field of study.
- Master's degree in Mathematics, Education, or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of elementary school mathematics teaching experience; leadership experience required.
- A minimum of 3 years working with adult learners, including, designing, facilitating, and evaluating professional learning needs of teachers.
- Valid teaching certificate issued by the Virginia Board of Education with appropriate grade level and content level endorsement.