Classroom Health Aide (CC: 5804) (0.7 FTE)
Job | Posted 12 days ago
TITLE: Classroom Health Aide
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES: To assist classroom teachers working with students with physical disabilities.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES: (essential functions)
- Assists students with self-help skills such as feeding, toileting and dressing.
- Assists students to achieve physical therapy goals, which include daily range of motion exercises and positioning with various pieces of equipment such as standers, walkers and chairs.
- Introduces students to assistive technology by showing them how to hold eating utensils, pencils/crayons, and scissors and to use switches and other equipment according to their needs.
- Helps students reach their communication goals by using adaptive materials, sign language and computers.
- Uses sensory activities with students to expose them to textures, tastes, smells, and visuals while using a variety of materials.
- Assists visually impaired students using vision activities such as light boxes, vision cards, color cubes and other materials.
- Assists with integrating students into regular classrooms.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Knowledge of programs and techniques of working with physical disabilities.
Knowledge of processes and procedures to assist others with physical functions of daily living.
Knowledge of classroom procedures and processes.
Skill in assisting those with physical disabilities.
Skill in assessing the physical needs of others.
Skill in communicating orally and in writing.
Skill in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with others.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Able to perform the following physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodation: critical sensory requirements include general vision, corrected to 20/20, hear or listen in the normal range (corrected) and speak and give directions clearly. Able to walk, stand, kneel, crouch, reach, lift (exerting force up to 50 pounds), carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or GED and one (1) year childcare or medical work experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience that provide the required knowledge and skill. Bilingual preferred.
REQUIRED LICENSE/CERTIFICATION: None.