Extra Duty - 8th Grade Volleyball Assistant Coach
JOB TITLE: Junior High Assistant Coach
REPORTS TO: Varsity Head Coach
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
CONTRACT STATUS: Extra Duty
APPROVED BY: Zach Duffield
APPROVED DATE: 4/30/19
SUMMARY: Supports the Varsity and Junior High Head Coaches with all assigned duties. Coaches and provides direction to student-athletes so that they might achieve a high level of skill as well as appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship, and teamwork.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: These statements are intended to describe the responsibilities assigned to this position and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Follows and maintains knowledge of all District policies and procedures
- Follows and maintains knowledge of all policies of the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association (OSSAA)
- Exhibits loyalty to the Varsity and Junior High Head Coaches and OPS sports programs
- Assists instruction and demonstrates skill sets and techniques necessary for individual and team achievement
- Assists in planning and setting up activities, practices, and/or games
- Maintains necessary records and completes required paperwork in a specified time and manner
- Maintains a safe environment and facilities for student-athletes at all times
- Enforces discipline policies and emphasizes sportsmanship and healthy lifestyles
- Travels with student-athletes on the team bus both to and from games/events
- Ensures the medical and safety requirements are followed
- Appropriately maintains and secures confidential student records and inquiries
- Professionally represents the school and the District in interactions with students, parents, community, and staff
- All other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Students
QUALIFICATION: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid Oklahoma teaching certificate
- Certificates as determined by Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association (OSSAA)
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL) preferred
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Computer literate; excellent written and oral communication ability; strong knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and laws applicable to education and special education; expertise in Oklahoma State Department of Education regulations related to curriculum and instruction. Ability to follow all district policies and procedures. Demonstrating strong communication skills, orally and in writing, with faculty, staff, team members, and administrators. Ability to work without supervision, and work as a team player. Ability to document records accurately. Ability to manage confidential information in a manner that respects students, families, and employees. Ability to listen effectively. Ability to maintain emotional control under stressful situations and when working with students exhibiting non-compliant behaviors.
Must maintain a high degree of professionalism through the following attributes and behaviors:
- Empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal, and non-verbal communications.
- Work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in situations of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain proficiency as needed by attending trainings, reading job-related materials, and meeting with others in area of responsibility.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety. Maintain a professional and orderly workplace
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English language.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts and mathematical operations to tasks.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
LICENSES and REGISTRATIONS: Current driver’s license in good standing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
There will be some physical exertion. The position requires mobility. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will spend substantial time on their feet in an active setting. Additionally there will be a need to frequently sit, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools, or controls. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and up to 30 pounds on an occasional basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required less than 30% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, mouse, projector, and similar machines.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Activities associated with games, practice, and usual office working conditions. Travel, evening, and weekend hours will be necessary to attend events, meetings, and statewide events.