LITERACY INTERVENTION TEACHER
In W-JCC Schools, the literacy intervention teacher provides small group instruction for students struggling with reading and writing. The focus of this position is flexible in response to the data driven needs of the school. The literacy intervention teacher will be a member of the school’s Intervention Team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides reading intervention services to students who demonstrate substantial deficiencies based on their individual performance on the Standards of Learning reading assessment or an early literacy screener.
2. Demonstrates current and comprehensive knowledge of evidence-based literacy instruction aligned with science-based reading research to include oral language, phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing
3. Understands the nature of differentiated instruction and applies this knowledge during literacy intervention instruction.
4. Builds and maintains relationships with teachers and school administrators.
5. Collaborates with parents to create strong school-home partnerships.
6. Utilizes early literacy screening assessments and multiple diagnostic literacy assessments to determine reading skill deficiencies and make intervention decisions.
7. Monitors student achievement using progress monitoring assessments and modifies literacy interventions as needed.
8. Informs teachers, administrators, and parents of student progress on a regular basis.
9. Collaborates with the reading specialist to develop and monitor student intervention plans.
10. Maintains accurate and current documentation of students’ reading intervention services.
11. Collaborates with members of the Intervention Team and assists with intervention decisions and review of the school’s Tier 2 and Tier 3 caseloads.
12. Attends and participates in professional learning to improve and maintain knowledge of evidence-based literacy instructional practices and science-based reading research.
13. Utilizes appropriate technology for instruction and data reporting.
14. Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability, and Collaboration.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Provides direct services to students
Performs duties under the supervision of the school administrators; receives instruction and support from the Building Reading Specialist.
CONDITIONS OF WORK
Problem-solves, demonstrates ability to analyze data effectively, and works cooperatively with faculty.
• Must possess a bachelor’s degree with an endorsement in elementary education.
• Must possess a Virginia teaching license or be eligible for licensure within 30 days of hire.
• Must demonstrate evidence of active participation in school related activities.
• Successful classroom teaching experience (5 years preferable).
• Must possess in-depth knowledge of evidence-based literacy instruction and science-based reading research.
• Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge and use of a rich array of instructional approaches, resources, and technologies.
• Demonstrated commitment to continuous professional growth.
• Demonstrated skills in analyzing and using data for instructional decision making.
• Demonstrated interpersonal, problem solving, and organizational skills required to effectively collaborate with others.
• Must possess a growth mindset and a solution focused attitude.
• Additional course work or certifications literacy instruction.
• Experience providing instruction in an intervention setting.
• Possesses in-depth knowledge of literacy curriculum and instructional practices.