Secretary - 12 Months
Elementary School Secretary
Under the direct supervision of the principal or other administrator, to provide clerical, secretarial and administrative assistance to school administrators at a school site, conveying information regarding school functions and procedures; and supporting the broad array of services provided to students, parents, instructional and support employees.
- Prepares, copies and distributes notices, memoranda or other correspondence for the purpose of informing school employees regarding activities, events or other work-related matters.
- Assists in planning and scheduling school events and activities, and maintaining calendar of school and student events for the purpose of coordinating and scheduling events such as orientation, open house, field trips, sporting events, assemblies, conferences, etc.
- Assists in maintaining documents, files and records for the purpose of providing up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
- Maintains and monitors employee leave records.
- Assists in maintaining inventories of supplies and materials for the purpose of ensuring items' availability.
- Assist visitors to the office, including students, parents, substitutes teachers, and others.
- Answers telephone calls, and provides information and assistance to callers.
- Distributes incoming mail appropriately; sends outgoing mail.
- Evaluates situations for the purpose of taking appropriate action and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Responds to inquiries from students, parents and employees, providing information, facilitating communication among parties and/or providing direction.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the school.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone.
Limited travel to and from meetings may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to describe problems and work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Powerpoint, the Internet, email).
- Ability to problem solve job-related issues.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to process paperwork accurately according to standardized procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of office management procedures.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.
Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Graduation from high school.
- Associate's Degree preferred.
- Successful experience with office management preferred.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt