School Counselor 5-8 (2022 - 2023) SIGNING BONUS - $2,500
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: To assist students in establishing educational, career, and personal/social goals which are attainable and to provide assistance in developing plans
for achieving those goals
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Establishes long and short range goals based on students needs, district, state
and curriculum mandates.
2. Has a working knowledge of Power School (Student Management Information System).
3. Coordinates registration and scheduling of classes
4. Serves as a resource person to faculty and administration
5. Plans “pull out” tutorial for grades 5-8
6. Coordinates the proper maintenance of student records as required by law, system policy, and administrative regulations; and serves as a resource to other school personnel in
the use and interpretation and of records.
7. Monitors remediation for SOL recovery students
8. Reviews and files final teacher’s grade verification sheets at the end of each six weeks
9. Prints and reviews report cards for accuracy
10. Updates demographic information as required
11. Coordinates sessions with students for private counseling
12. Confers with parents whenever necessary
13. Participates in special education eligibility meetings
14.. Works cooperatively with student management systems personnel to accomplish school division goals
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1. Holds a Master’s Degree
2. Holds a valid Virginia Certification with an endorsement of School Counselor or holds an active Licensed Professional Counseling (LPC) license by Virginia Deparment of Health Professionals (DHP).
3. Has a minimum of three years successful experience as a School Counselor
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
1. Holds a valid Virginia Certification with an endorsement of School Counselor
2. Holds a valid driver's license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop and kneel. Lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Eleven-month employment. Salary to be determined by the School Board.
Performance of the position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Prince Edward County School Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.