Elementary School Principal
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
FLSA Status: Exempt
Grade: Administrative Salary Schedule, Grade 4
Location: Elementary School (Grades PreK – 5)
This position provides administration, instructional leadership, and supervision of operation and management of an elementary school.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organizes school program and plans for implementation of state and local curriculum guides; manages building instructional program; advises teachers on instructional methods, materials, and techniques; directs school staff development program for teachers.
- Develops and maintains an effective educational program consistent with State and Federal guidelines and the philosophy, policies, goals, and core values of the School Board; meets and confers with students, parents, faculty and staff; maintain records and files; prepare reports.
- Creates and maintains a school culture and climate that fosters high levels of student and teacher learning and growth.
- Plans and supervises the work of others; sets expectations, builds capacity, models learning, manages effectively, and responds to constituent groups and the community in a timely manner
- Contributes to division-curriculum evaluations, revisions, and related projects; participates in division administrator's meetings; provides administrative support and coordination services to Central Office and other office personnel as needed; supervises student teacher training program at building level.
- Develops building rules, regulations, and procedures consistent with school division policies, rules, regulations, and procedures; interprets and enforces division and building rules, regulations and procedures; prepares, distributes, and updates school handbook.
- Maintains efficient and effective work relations with and among staff members; holds periodic faculty and other staff meetings for the conduct of school business; disseminates needed information; encourages reciprocal communications within school; responds to staff requests, complaints, grievances, etc.; advises staff members regarding work-related problems.
- Prepares and defends annual school budget proposal; manages budget allotments in accordance with building priorities; maintains proper account ledgers and other financial records.
- Interviews and recommends employment of school personnel; orients new employees to school; assigns and schedules the building's staff; recommends appointments to leadership responsibilities as appropriate; maintains necessary personnel records; provides for employment of substitute personnel.
- Leads and assists teachers in maintenance of appropriate classroom management; counsels individual students; confers with parents; administers discipline as appropriate; reports disciplinary action as required.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local mandates and guidelines related to local and state testing programs and the local special education program.
- Ensures scholastic records for all students are current, accurate, complete, and meet federal, state and local requirements.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Master’s Degree in Educational Administration and Supervision and a professional license with proper endorsements in Administration and Supervision PreK – 12 is required.
- Extensive administrative, leadership and educational experience.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills and establish and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders (e.g., administrators, teachers, staff, parents).
- Thorough knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques used in the administration and supervision of all facets of an elementary school (grades PreK – 5); thorough knowledge of curriculum design, implementation, evaluation and refinement; thorough knowledge of prescribed School Board policies and procedures; knowledge and understanding of student growth and development and developmentally appropriate instruction and learning; knowledge and understanding of the conditions and dynamics of the diverse school community.
- Ability to maintain and model high standards of professionalism.
Supervises all assigned professional, paraprofessional, administrative, and non-professional personnel assigned to the school.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Assistant Superintendent, School Leadership (Elementary).
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Frequent interruptions, frequent competing deadlines; supervise and address large audiences; supervision of outside activities. Subject to multiple competing priorities and making expedient decisions in times of crisis.
|This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The incumbent will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the principal or appropriate administrator. WJCC Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.|