Middle School ESOL Newcomer Teacher for the 2022-2023 School Year
The Newcomer ESOL Teacher, under the direction of the school principal and ESOL Learning and School Support Specialist, will provide tailored instruction of foundational skills in English, literacy and numeracy, and foundational content area skills to a diverse, multilevel group of students who have little to no English skills and have had limited or no schooling.
- (Only those persons who meet the minimum qualifications as posted should apply)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree (preferred)
- Teacher Certification to teach English at the Secondary Level
- Required ESL endorsement for level assigned
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Background experience in one or more of the following categories: emergent literacy development, sheltered instruction, cognitive academic language learning approach, cooperative learning, writing process and reading.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Experience as an ESOL classroom teacher (experience with newcomer/SLIFE students preferred)
- Ability to work collaboratively with campus staff in a classroom/training model.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- 1. Sustain an emergent/survival skills environment for learning American culture and the US school system.
- 2. Provide linguistically accommodated instruction that fulfills the requirements of the district’s curriculum, and facilitate the acquisition of academic English language and skills.
- 3. Monitor student progress.
- 4. Serve as a student advocate for limited English proficient students in meetings with counselors, content teachers, parents, and administrators.
- 5. Collaborate with core content area teachers of English Learners to ensure support services for these identified students.
- 6. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Applicant should hold or be eligible for a Virginia Collegiate Professional or Post-Graduate Professional License with a specific endorsement in the area to which assigned;
- Applicant with teaching experience must have an acceptable rating from such teaching;
- Candidate must be a graduate of an accredited college or university;
- Possess or be eligible to acquire appropriate license(s) and/or endorsement(s) for position as required by the Commonwealth of Virginia and School Board.
Salary: This is a 10 month position. Additional compensation awarded for credits earned toward advanced degrees. New employees to Spotsylvania County will be compensated for up to 20 years of experience