Information Technology Specialist
The IT Specialist is responsible for maintaining computers assigned to the school and administrative buildings and primarily serves as a technology resource for the students, teachers and administrative staff. The IT Specialist reports to the Technical Services Supervisor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs all traditional support of an onsite technician for common fixes for hardware and software problems; setup and repair of computers, audio-video classroom equipment and printers. Provide support for Microsoft Windows and the Microsoft Office365 suite and any other division supported software. Primary functions include installing, repairing/upgrading, and configuring PC hardware, software, and peripherals. Supports network users experiencing computer, network, and printing problems.
- Provides support for the student 1T1 computer program division wide.
- Maintains an attractive, orderly, and healthy learning/computing environment within assigned work space; organizes and maintains computer parts, manuals, etc.
- Receives assignments for work location and daily tasking from the Technology Services Supervisor.
- Performs other technical duties as assigned. Responds to trouble calls in a professional and courteous manner.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Technology Services Supervisor.
Acts within the department’s operating procedures and the guidelines of the school division’s policies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/JOB SPECIFICATIONS
High school graduate required. Some level of training and/or experience in supporting various computer/peripheral generations, and experience in the use and support of all versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems, Office365 application suites, and use of the internet. Experience with general networking of systems in a Microsoft environment.
Essential Technical/Motor Skills:
Technical Skills – Ability to use various hand tools (screwdriver, pliers, etc) to disassemble and re-assemble computers, printers, and other related peripheral equipment. Ability to apply extended troubleshooting guidelines to properly diagnose and repair computer and related equipment problems. Ability to install, configure, and apply various computer software applications and operating systems. Ability to properly connect, configure, and manipulate related computer parts, equipment, and peripherals.
Motor Skills – Extensive hand-eye coordination is required to make use of hand tools, install various computer and electronic parts, ability to safely work in and around electronic equipment.
Must be able to maintain a professional relationship with other employees in various roles at all times. Must be able to apply professional customer service skills in what can be highly stressful situations while maintaining professional composure. Must be able to properly explain to non-technical internal and external customers the proper use of computer hardware and software, as well as providing explanations of repair work in a non-technical manner.
Working Conditions and Requirements:
Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. Must be able to safely climb and work from a step ladder (up to 8 feet) and reach over-head. Must be able to squat and work below desks/tables. Must be able to complete repetitive motions, use a keyboard and/or mouse, and perform repetitive tasks. Must be comfortable in performing repetitive, sometimes mundane tasks as well as being able to quickly switch from one task to another as situations warrant. Must be comfortable working alone, as well as in front of groups of people. Must be able to maintain a highly professional demeanor. Must be comfortable in instructing other employees in the use of complex/technical equipment and software applications.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Supports the division’s instructional technology program. Performs highly diverse/intense technical and support duties requiring strong communication and inter-personal skills. Must be highly flexible and adaptable to change in a dynamic work setting ensuring high quality of service to customers requiring technical assistance. Requires constant and almost continuous use of voice and data communications, including phone, text, and email.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license in accordance with Virginia DMV regulations.
Required: Entry Level position as a PC support technician in a Microsoft networking environment. High School graduate required. Proven excellent customer service and communication skills. Experienced in supporting various PC generation and support of all versions of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and Office Suite365. Experienced in using CAT-5 cables and supported network hub/switch devices.
1.CompTIA A+ certification or work toward completion.
2.Microsoft Certified Professional or work toward completion.
3.Any other related professional certification