SPED - Orientation and Mobility Specialist (O&M)
Job | Posted 2 months ago
Certification / Qualifications:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree with certification in Orientation and Mobility from an accredited college or university.?
- Valid teaching certificate.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Must have access to a vehicle and be willing to travel to multiple schools.
- Provide direct Orientation & Mobility (O&M) services to blind/visually impaired students, ages 3-22, in a variety of educational and community settings, including advanced travel with bus systems.
- Provide and coordinate unique specialized instruction through daily lessons reflective of the curriculum and the student’s IEP.
- Consult with classroom teachers, regular and special education personnel, parents, and students to coordinate programs and services for the visually impaired student.
- Provide instruction in the development and maintenance of skills as indicated in the IEP; orientation & mobility, low vision and visual efficiency skills, concept development and academic skills, daily living skills, communication skills, social/emotional skills and abilities, and sensory motor skills.
- Collaborative with Individual Education Plan (IEP) team in developing student IEPs, including goals and supplementary aids and services.
- Attend IEP meetings and required staff meetings.
- Conduct and interpret orientation & mobility assessments and complete written reports for students throughout Alpine School District.
- Compile and analyze data on student progress and use response to intervention to adjust interventions or strategies as indicated.
- Use technology to communicate and to enhance student learning.
- Plan and supervise the functions of para educators with whom you are working with.
- Maintains appropriate student behavior control and establish a productive classroom environment.
- Conduct parent conferences.