Education Assistant - Classroom
EDUCATION ASSISTANT - CLASSROOM
Hiring Pay Range: $12.80 - $13.20 per hour, DOE
Schedule: 40 hours per week 1.0 FTE
Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (30 minute unpaid meal break)
10 months/188 paid workdays per year
Benefits Eligible, Non-Exempt
Location: Esperero Canyon Middle School
Target Start Date: ASAP
Under immediate supervision of certified teaching staff, performs work of moderate difficulty assisting in the structured education of students. Assignment may be with students of any grade level and may include support in specialized learning environments such as computer labs.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a complete listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this job class.)
- Works with students individually and in groups and assists them with lessons and instruction according to the teacher’s lesson plan;
- Assists teacher in delivering whole class projects;
- Monitor sstudents on school grounds, before school, at lunch, at break, on playgrounds, during passing periods and a traffic duty and emphasizes appropriate behavior;
- Administers tests and collects and grades homework and tests;
- Reads to and assists students in reading;
- Prepares classroom materials, report cards, bulletin boards and visual aids;
- Arranges field trips;
- Provides clerical support to teachers or subject specialists, such as copying and collating instructional materials, and creating letters, forms and supply orders;
- Enters data on homework hotline;
- Records and assigns lockers to students;
- Assists with and delivers student counseling and discipline in an urgent situation in the absence of a teacher;
- May assist in providing clerical support to the school office.
- Assists teachers in carrying out educational programming;
- Interacts with children to encourage a positive self-concept and enthusiasm for the discovery process;
- Prepares and cares for the classroom and playground as needed;
- Attends regular staff meetings;
- Prepares and cleans up daily snack;
- Adheres to the goals, policies and procedures of the program;
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of CFSD and school policies and procedures regarding student discipline
- Knowledge of curriculum content for assigned area
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures
- Skill in operating a variety of standard office equipment such as phones, copiers, calculators, paper cutters and scanners
- Skill in communicating effectively, orally and in writing
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff, administrators, students and parents
Minimum Required Qualifications:
High School diploma or GED.
CPR and First Aid certificates are required within one (1) year of hire.
Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity Policy
CFSD is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to sex (which includes a prohibition against sexual harassment as described in the District’s policy concerning sexual harassment), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ethnicity, religion, creed, age, or disability.