Teacher - Social Studies
JOB TITLE: Teacher
DEPARTMENT: Owasso High School
REPORTS TO: Principal/Assistant Principal
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
CONTRACT STATUS: Full-time / 180-days
SALARY SCHEDULE: Certified
APPROVED BY: Human Resources
APPROVED DATE: 4/15/19
SUMMARY: Create a flexible High School age based program based on subject matter taught, and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; establish effective rapport with students; motivate pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for preparation for college, vocational school or acquiring employment, in accordance with each student’s ability; and establish good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: These statements are intended to describe the responsibilities assigned to this position and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Teach courses in area of certification to secondary students, utilizing course of study adopted by the state of Oklahoma Academic Standard and developed by the vertical team and the school board.
- Instruct students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and in administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
- Develop lesson plans and appropriate instructional aides stressing discovery and laboratory learning as necessary depending on subject taught.
- Demonstrate subject matter concepts and examples using models, chalkboard, overhead projector, computers, or any other standard or approved teacher-prepared instructional aids.
- Provides opportunities when needed for individualized and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of the students.
- Utilizes grading patterns that are fairly administered and based on identified criteria.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom. Treat students with respect and dignity.
- Evaluate each student’s academic growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Selects and requisitions books, instructional aids, and instructional supplies, maintains required inventory records.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss student’s progress and interpret the school program. Interacts with students, staff, and parents in a positive and professional manner.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Establishes rapport with students and provides a pleasant, safe, and orderly climate conducive to learning.
- Administers group-standardized tests in accordance with district testing programs.
- Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
- Establish and maintain standard of students’ behavior needed to provide an orderly productive classroom environment.
- Supervise students in out of classroom activities during the assigned work day.
- Assists with special projects.
- All other duties as assigned by the administrator.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATION: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field
- Valid Oklahoma Teaching Certificate
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Computer literate; excellent written and oral communication ability; strong knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and laws applicable to education and special education. Ability to follow all district policies and procedures. Ability to work independently, displaying initiative and enthusiasm for the tasks being done. Demonstrating strong communication skills, orally and in writing, with faculty, staff, team members, and administrators. Ability to work without supervision, and work as a team player. Ability to document records accurately. Ability to manage confidential information in a manner that respects students, families, and employees. Ability to listen effectively.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English language including common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts and mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, sit, and walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily inside working conditions; some exposure to environmental conditions during outside duty. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.