Special Education Paraprofessional
Norman Public Schools
Resource Teacher's Assistant Job Description
Job Title: Resource Teacher's Assistant
1) Meets the Tier 1 (Title 1) Paraprofessional Requirements (at least one of the following):
- Completed two years of study at an institution of higher education defined as completion of 48 hours of college coursework.
- Has obtained an associate’s degree (or higher).
- Has taken and passed the WorkKeys test, ParaPro test, or the Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET).
2) Holds an Oklahoma Special Education Paraprofessional Certificate or is willing to complete the Tier 2 (Special Education) Paraprofessional Requirements and obtain the Oklahoma Special Education Paraprofessional Certificate in a timely manner.
Tier 2 (Special Education) Paraprofessional Requirements are as follows and ALL must be completed to obtain and maintain the Oklahoma Special Education Paraprofessional Certificate.
- Complete the Oklahoma Special Education Paraprofessional Training at a Career Tech Center, OR Complete State approved LEA training, OR complete training modules in PEPPER.
- Complete and maintain training in skills in CPR and First Aid.
- Complete Training in Universal Precautions/Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Complete an additional 6 hours of professional development and Universal Precautions/Bloodborne Pathogens each school year after.
Education: High School Diploma or GED. College hours helpful in meeting Tier 1 Paraprofessional Requirements.
Training or experience required: Meets Tier 1 Paraprofessional Requirements.Previous work or volunteer experience with children, teenagers and or clerical experience preferred.
Reports to: Building Principal
Contract: 175 days
Salary Schedule: Teacher’s Assistant
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist with instruction and activities for individuals or for groups as assigned by teacher.
- Supervise students in instructional settings, off-campus activities and during non-instructional activities such as recess, assemblies, emergency drills, lunch periods, etc.
- Supervise students in teacher's absence.
- Prepare, create, or adapt instructional materials as directed by teacher. Prepare bulletin boards and other teaching aids. Assist students with assignments. Setup and operate equipment for instructional purposes.
- Serve as chief source of information and assistance for substitute teachers.
- Assist teacher with student behavior management strategies. Respond appropriately to out of control students when necessary.
- Alert teacher to special needs of students.
- May be required to assist students with external feedings (utilizing a feeding tube) or feeding themselves.
- May be required to assist students with personal care (toiletry needs, which may include catheterization or diaper changes).
- Assist students with boarding and exiting transportation or supervision prior to or after exiting transportation while on school grounds.
- Perform housekeeping duties with classroom to ensure it is neat and clean. Wash dishes, disinfect toys, tables, defrost freezer, etc. Prepare snacks for students.
- May ride afternoon bus route supervising student behavior on the bus.
- Operate photocopier, laminator and duplicator. May operate computer. Assist teacher in obtaining supplies necessary for scheduled activities: i.e. paints, brushes, construction paper, science supplies, etc. Assist teachers with compiling student's work to send home weekly. Send letters home to parents as required.
- Must maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Successful performance of the job requires good customer service/people skills and to handle problems and provide information and technical assistance as requested. It requires complying with safety guidelines and policies to reduce accident or injury to staff or to students. It requires following school dress standards, proper attendance or leave policies, and other work-habits concerns for staff. Creativity, initiative and effective problem solving are critical to the success of the position. An incumbent in this position will utilize discretion, ingenuity and independent judgment due to the complexity of the job. Since there may be several ways to solve a problem, an incumbent is free to choose the solution.