JOB TITLE: School Health Aide
DEPARTMENT: Owasso Elementary Schools
REPORTS TO: Principal/Supervising Nurse/Lead Nurse
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
CONTRACT STATUS: 9-month contract, 7-hour day (plus 3 professional development days)
SALARY SCHEDULE: Health Aide
APPROVED BY: Dr. Kim Castaldi
APPROVED DATE: 7/23/19
SUMMARY: Provide support and assistance with the efficient operation of the health offices in the district and support district nurses, teachers, administration, and students as needed. The Health Aide will work under the direct supervision of the assigned Registered Nurse, Lead Nurse, and site principal.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: these statements are intended to describe the responsibilities assigned to this position and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Utilize standards of care and first aid training in caring for students and staff including but not limited to:
- collecting data in compliance with health services standards and supervising nurse instructions
- administering, documenting and inventorying medications in compliance with health services standards
- communicating appropriately with supervising nurse
- compiling data as directed
- providing care within the scope of practice and limitations of position
- utilizing appropriate problem solving skills and accurately performing approved job skills
- Prioritizes and organizes completion of job responsibilities
- Maintains accurate records
- Supports health services goals through continuous quality improvement and educational activities
- Participates appropriately in district safety activities
- Maintains confidentiality of students and staff
- Must be able to deal successfully and rapidly with changes in assignment and properly respond to complaints
- Maintain a harmonious rapport and work cooperatively with district staff, students, and the public while achieving the objectives of the job
- Other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATION: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or General Education Development diploma
- Certified Nursing Assistant or certification in health related field
- Minimum 1 year in health care setting preferred
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Computer literate; excellent written and oral communication ability; strong knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and laws applicable to education and special education. Ability to follow all district policies and procedures. Ability to work independently, displaying initiative and enthusiasm for the tasks being done. Demonstrating strong communication skills, orally and in writing, with faculty, staff, team members, and administrators. Ability to work without supervision, and work as a team player. Ability to document records accurately. Ability to manage confidential information in a manner that respects students, families, and employees. Ability to listen effectively.
- Certified in Adult and Pediatric CPR and First Aid
- Knowledge of universal precautions
- Basic data collection skills: vital signs (temporal temperature, radial pulse, adult and pediatric blood pressure, respiration)
- Respiratory safety: nebulizers and inhalers
- Wound care: appropriately cleaning and dressing of wounds (scrapes, abrasions, etc.)
- Medication administration: oral, nasal, ophthalmic, otic and topical medications; gastronomy tubes; use of emergency medications such as Epi-pens, rectal diastat, nasal versed, glucagon
- Diabetes care: per American Diabetes Association and Oklahoma State Department of Health guidelines and per student’s physician orders
- Procedures that may be delegated to health aides
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English language including common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts and mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, sit, and walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily inside working conditions; some exposure to environmental conditions during outside duty. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.