Head Volleyball Coach - MCHS
Job | Posted 16 days ago
Mecklenburg County High School Head Volleyball Coach
Expectations of Head Coach:
- Effectively plan and manage all aspects of the volleyball program, working closely with the Student Activities Administrator.
- Instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success.
- Provide instruction and guidance that will allow student athletes to improve self-confidence, develop self-discipline, learn proper sportsmanship, demonstrate acceptable social behavior, create pride of accomplishment, and ability to handle loss or disappointment constructively.
- Coordinate the middle school program to ensure proper teaching of fundamentals, aligned offensive and defensive schemes, and practice/game terminology.
- Select and properly supervise a suitably qualified coaching staff.
- Serve as a positive role model for student athletes at all times.
- Ensure all MCPS policies, regulations, and procedures are consistently followed.
- Follow all Athletic Department policies faithfully as provided by the Student Activities Administrator and meet all criteria as outlined in the job description.
- Know and follow all applicable administrative policies as set forth by the School Board and the superintendent.
- Maintain up to date and accurate records and inventories electronically.
- Cooperate fully with the Student Activities Administrator regarding requests for all records: team rosters, bus departure times, physical forms, parent permission and emergency medical forms, preseason and postseason reports, or program information relative to sport or any other additional information that might be periodically required.
- Frequent checks on status of academic eligibility for all current and prospective team members. Student athletes are students first.
- Implement a plan to support academic performance of student athletes; tutoring, study centers, etc.
- Work cooperatively with the Athletic Department and other coaches.
- Schedule and complete a full season of contests including the entire district schedule of regular season contests.
- Follow all applicable in and out of season training rules to team members in writing prior to the start of the season and coordinate all schedules with the Student Activities Administrator.
- Follow appropriate due process procedures when team violations occur.
- Serve as a positive example at all times while with athletes and dress appropriately at all practices and games.
- Promote the volleyball program in the community, in-person and through electronic media.
- Arrive on time for practice and games.
- Participate in any awards night programs relative to this sport.
- Maintain professional and appropriate conduct at all times including the use of appropriate language at all practices and games with respect to players, officials, and fans.
- Demonstrate vitality and enthusiasm for the sport and good judgment in decision-making.
- Accept constructive criticism from supervisors willingly along with suggestions for improving coaching performance.
- Demonstrates understanding of the techniques, systems, and strategies of volleyball.
- Develop relationships between coaching staff and players so that players respond positively to directions given by the staff and demonstrate the ability to adapt properly to changing game situations.
- Well-versed and knowledgeable in matters pertaining to the sport on and off the field.
- Ensure proper student athlete safety protocols are in place to prevent injury and also to properly respond to injury.
- Ensure proper techniques are taught to all student athletes to minimize potential for injury.
- Demonstrate game plans and strategies that are in line with the talent of the team and ensure the team is well-prepared for competition.
- Motivate the team to meet/exceed their goals and stress the value of acceptable personal behavior by each team member.
- Actively promote and demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times.
- Provide proper supervision during all travel. Ensure no athletes are left unsupervised in any facility following the conclusion of practices and/or games.
- Create comprehensive written procedures for all aspects of the team: recruiting, conditioning, off-season, practice, scrimmages, home and away game pre-game routines, travel, and game preparation.
- Encourage student athletes to participate in other sports, clubs, organizations, and school activities.
- Demonstrate proper discipline and control over individual team members under his/her control. Deal consistently and fairly with disciplinary problems as they arise.
- Expect and work with athletes of various and wide-ranging ability levels. Adjust practice activities/drills to suit the skill levels of athletes.
- Develop a well-organized practice schedule and use practice time effectively. Practice sessions are expected to show evidence of careful preparation in terms of objectives, drills, teaching aids, etc. Utilizes practice time for both individual and team development.
- Maintains accurate inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Participate in annual coaching clinics/coaching development programs
- Demonstrate knowledge of skills and strategies associated with volleyball and an understanding of the game.
- Demonstrate strong organizational and positive interpersonal skills.
- Communicate effectively with school administration, coaching staff, team members and parents.
- Work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Motivate and inspire others.
- Serve as a positive role model.
- Prior experience as a participant on a middle/high school volleyball team, or the equivalent experience is required.
- Knowledge of teaching, managing, and coaching volleyball is required.
- Prior coaching experience is required.
- Clean background check is required.
- Prior head coaching experience is preferred.
- Annual participation in coaching clinics/coaching development programs
- Employment in our school division is preferred.